Electrical box hanging in wall

Old 06-19-20, 10:37 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrical box hanging in wall

While doing a plumbing repair I found this electrical box hanging in the wall cabinets, not connected to the stud. I want to replace the paneling on this wall, but before I do, what (if anything) should I do with the box? Does it need to be attached to a stud? Should I cut an opening in the new wall covering? Push it up in the ceiling? Is it okay that it's in the same space as the main water supply line?
TIA

Old 06-19-20, 11:07 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 160 Votes on 142 Posts
Yes, the box should be attached and not hanging by the wires. To the stud is probably easiest, but to the concrete blocks would be fine too. You may want to add a 8-12" scrap of 2x4 or 1x3 to bump it out a bit so you can remove the cover plate.

It will also need to be accessible. It sounds like this area will have some kind of door or removable cover, which is sufficient. You just don't want to bury it. I wouldn't want to bury the PRV (or whatever that is on the pipe either)

I would also attach the cables to the studs so they aren't flying too. Per code, they should be stapled within 8" of the box, and every 4' up the wall.

No problem with it being near the water line.

Old 06-20-20, 06:46 PM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
It's a handy box that was never intended to be attached to wood framing. I'd replace it with a plastic nail-on box.

You can get a access panel for the PRV at either Lowes or Home Depot. I think you will find them in the plumbing department.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: