What Does This Switch Do "Coil to Garage"

Old 06-21-20, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What Does This Switch Do "Coil to Garage"

Hello. I have moved into a new house, about 20 years old. In the laundry room, there is a switch that doesn't seem to control any lights or outlets. The house wiring diagram labels the switch as "Coil to Garage". What could that be? Many thanks for your help!

Old 06-21-20, 09:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,351 Votes on 1,249 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The house wiring diagram labels the switch as "Coil to Garage".
What house wiring diagram ?

Old 06-21-20, 10:28 PM
Thanks for asking. The house wiring diagram was in an envelope that was taped to the door of the circuit breaker box. It is a top-view of the house, like a blueprint, with each switch and outlet labeled by its circuit breaker number. Most switches have a line drawn from the switch to the device that it controls, but this one switch in the laundry room has no line. It has only a label that says "coil to garage". The switch is on the wall, adjacent to the door into the garage.

Perhaps the answer is simple, such as a coil of wire that sits somewhere in the insulated roof space above the attic, but is just capped off for future use and not now attached to anything. But I am ignorant about such things. I guess I just wanted to know. It would be nice to hear if anyone else had ever seen the phrase "coil to garage".

Thanks again.

Old 06-22-20, 05:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 755 Votes on 694 Posts
Do you have a multi meter or electrical tester? If so I'd check to see if there is AC going to the switch.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 06-22-20, 06:47 AM
Thanks for asking, Pilot. Yes, the box has live power coming in. The switch controls the hot wire (110V AC). When the switch is on, the controlled end of the hot wire is live (110V AC). The controlled hot wire exits the box along with a neutral wire and a bare ground wire, all in a white sheathing. Where it goes after that, I don't know.

Old 06-22-20, 06:48 AM
J
Received 300 Votes on 257 Posts
Perhaps the answer is simple, such as a coil of wire that sits somewhere in the insulated roof space above the attic, but is just capped off for future use and not now attached to anything. But I am ignorant about such things. I guess I just wanted to know. It would be nice to hear if anyone else had ever seen the phrase "coil to garage".
This is exactly what I suspected when I read you post.
Tell us more about the garage. Does it have wiring? Does it have a switch controlled light? Could it have been for a future accessory like a car lift? What size breaker is it in the panel? Is it on? What else goes off if you turn it off?

Old 06-22-20, 06:53 AM
Received 292 Votes on 262 Posts
If you have crawl space in the garage, poke you head up there and see if you can locate a coil of wire. In the meantime if that switch has it;s own breaker I would keep it off. If not I would remove wall switch and cap off the wire leads and put a blank cover over it.

Old 06-22-20, 07:52 AM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
Is this a detached garage or is it attached to the house?

Old 06-22-20, 09:03 PM
Thank you all for the input. The garage is attached and wired with a ceiling light, some receptacle outlets, and an electric garage door opener. There is a ceiling and a hatch to climb through it into the roof space, but I can't do that myself. My daughter has said that she'll climb up when she visits in July. I'll bet you're right that I'll find a light or a junction box that contains an unused wire from the mystery switch.

Thanks again for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: