Wiring 12-2 from 12-3 Source

Old 06-24-20, 07:45 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring 12-2 from 12-3 Source

This is a simple question but I was just hoping someone can confirm my thinking. We are re-doing our kitchen and have had to move some wiring. It appears in many instances they ran 12-3 wire from the breaker to an outlet. And then from there ran 12-2 wire to other outlets, lights, etc. So just to make sure I understand the concept, to connect these to types of wires, I would connect the 12-2 Black in circuit A to the 12-3 black, the 12-2 black in circuit B to the 12-3 red, and wire nut all the whites together and wire nut all the grounds together. Is that correct? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-20, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 840 Votes on 787 Posts
Yes.... you are 100% correct. Those are called multiwire branch circuits. Two hot wires sharing the same neutral. Current code requires them to be powered by two breakers with the handles tied together or a 2P breaker.

It is imperative that the neutral/white connection be of the highest quality. If that neutral splice goes bad or opens.... one half of the circuit can see well over 120v.

Old 06-29-20, 09:10 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you PJmax! I did the wiring like you confirmed for me and it worked. But now I wanted to expand on my question.

So right now I have the 12-3 wires and the 2 12-2 wires in a junction box. I then have an outlet to the left that is circuit A and and an outlet to the right that is circuit B. But now instead of just having a junction box, I think I want to put an outlet in there instead. How would the wiring work there? Would I just have pigtails from the whites, grounds and either black/black or red/black wires? Thanks!

Old 06-29-20, 10:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 840 Votes on 787 Posts
pigtails from the whites, grounds and either black/black or red/black wires?
Yes.... that is correct. You can have several receptacles on each line.