Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Custom Stereo box wiring help (using a car stereo head unit)

Old 06-26-20, 07:56 AM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts

I posted This thread awhile back and that 18AH battery is too far gone and will not hold any charge.

I had to get another radio as the original one I had posted in the above thread was dead (at least I got my $ back from the seller, the unit was supposedly tested)

Any way I have more questions on the power wiring of my stereo box.

The speaker wiring I can handle myself.

I am going to wire 2x 5AH batteries in parallel to increase the run time of my box.

I bought a three position center off DPDT 6 terminal switch.

I want one position for battery power and the other for AC power using a 12VDC 20A (overkill I know as the radio only needs 6A) metal cased power supply from eBay.

I also got power inlet and I will probably need help with that also.

I also got a USB charger that I want to power on/off using the same SPST switch as the radios switched (red) power wire.

I also have another SPST switch that I want to wire to the radios red (switched power) wire that tells the unit to blank out the display and totally shut down the amplifier circuits.

The yellow wire is the constant 12VDC to retain clock and all settings (and there is quite a lot on this unit).

Thanks and look forward to more questions on this project .

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-20, 06:11 PM
Can anyone help me with my project? I also found that the radio retains all the settings when totally disconnected from power the only thing lost is the date & time (which is no big deal as the clock is automatically set from the RDS signal from a local radio station).

Old 06-27-20, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 840 Votes on 787 Posts
I'll give you a hand.
Questions....
Is that the exact inlet port you have as they are all wired differently ?
Not sure we discussed it but why not use a combination charger/power supply ?
This way every time you plug the box in it can charge and run at the same time.

Old 06-27-20, 07:53 PM
Yes that is the exact inlet I bought (I however did not get it yet)
I did not know those were even made.
The radio is good for 12-16V and the power supply is adjustable from 10-14V. So can I use that to charge those batteries?
The batteries are UB1250 (Universal Power Group)

Old 06-27-20, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 840 Votes on 787 Posts
Yes..... adjustable is good. We'd set it to 13.6vdc to charge the batteries and run the radio. Might require some slight trimming based on how the batteries respond.

Old 06-27-20, 08:01 PM
OK cool if you don't mind can you make a diagram for the inlet and wiring for those two switches (one is a 6 pin DPDT and the other is a 2 pin SPST)

Old 06-28-20, 06:22 PM
Please advise I am electrical dunce when it comes to complex wiring, I still can't grasp the idea of how a 3 or 4 ways switch works (after years of looking at them, I did try to replace a 4 way once but it ended up tripping the breaker so I had a real electrician fix it)

Old 06-29-20, 07:58 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'd skip the switch and just use diodes. Adjust the power supply so it has a bit higher voltage than the battery so it takes priority when the power supply is available. If you use a diode (or to make it easier to wire/use, a bridge rectifier) you wouldn't have to worry about losing time/presets every time you flipped a switch.

Old 06-29-20, 08:16 AM
OK that sounds like a better idea, but what kind of diode do I need and how would that be wired together? My power inlet is coming today (when my regular mail arrives later around 3:30PM) so I can work on getting that wired in.

Old 06-29-20, 08:56 AM
A
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
not sure why you need a diode but they only allow voltage to go one way cant really block voltage to the battery as it would not charge or radio as it would not work so guess maybe its for blocking battery voltage back to the power supply probably for when your not using the power supply.
but would simplify it if you did just hook the power supply to the battery then every thing is just a simple single pole switch to turn the power on to the radio red wire.