Sub Panel Surge Breaker

Old 06-29-20, 10:02 AM
G
Gen
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Sub Panel Surge Breaker

I want to put whole house surge breaker on my sub panel. (Main panel already has one.) So the surge breaker, Seimens, looks like a 2 pole breaker, but is not. It just is 2 singles ganged together. My sub panel is full and I have NO 20 amp breakers I could remove to replace with this Seimens. (Other breakers are either twins or a 40 amp 2 pole)

I DO however, have a 20 amp 2-pole breaker that goes to well pump. My question is, can I pull that out and put this Seimens in....IF I install a breaker tie?? I don't mind if they trip together... Thanks!

Old 06-29-20, 12:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,348 Votes on 1,246 Posts
I'm not following. You want to remove the 2P breaker for the well pump and install the surge protector in its place. Where would you connect the well pump ?

Old 06-29-20, 05:50 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 161 Votes on 143 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't add a handle tie and use it as a 2-pole 20A breaker for your well pump. That's what handle ties are for!

Pete - the device is a surge protector plus double 20A breaker, The concept is you remove two 20A breakers from your panel and replace with this. It protects the circuit as well as providing panel surge protection.

Old 06-29-20, 05:56 PM
G
Gen
The SPD breaker also feeds the water pump.

The deal is--this Seimens breaker has dual function: It acts as a panel surge protector and it also functions as a regular breaker for two 20 amp circuits--single pole circuits that is.

So my question is can I MAYBE pull out a 2 pole 20 amp breaker (which feeds the water pump) and put the Seimens in it's place, IF I breaker tie the 2 single poles together?

Oops Zorfdt spelled it out before I finished typing. Thanks Z!

One more thing. Is there a standard breaker tie for this type of Seimens? (Anyone have a part number?)
Or do I have to create one?

Old 06-29-20, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,348 Votes on 1,246 Posts
Thanks for the clarification

I don't see anything listed from Siemens.
Usually it's two breakers and the tie handle connects in between.
You may need to measure the distance between the handles and try a different mfg.
GE ties look close. Ct. Electric may be close.
Breaker handle ties

Old 06-30-20, 04:28 PM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
IF I breaker tie the 2 single poles together?
I agree with PJ, I don't think there is a handle tie available to do what you want. The days of running a long nail through the two breaker handles is long gone and was never code complaint anyway. Since you already have surge protection at your main panel you really don't need surge protection at the subpanel anyway.

Old 07-01-20, 08:14 AM
G
Gen
"Since you already have surge protection at your main panel you really don't need surge protection at the subpanel anyway."

But thing is it's a generator sub panel. So when the main panel goes out, I lose that panel surge protector....I'd rather be over protected. --Seen too many nightmares with surge damage.

Old 07-05-20, 11:06 AM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
If the only time you have no surge protection is when you run on generator I wouldn't worry about it. The option is to replace the subpanel with a larger one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: