Understanding Amps

Old 06-30-20, 12:43 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Understanding Amps

Doing some improvements and wanted to understand basics about electrical

Question :
What happens if I plug a 6 amp device/appliance into a 15 amps socket ( basically a higher amp socket) ?

will it cause any damage to the socket or device ? as in will the 6 amp device pull in more electrical current and burn off ?

I understand Amps is the measure of how much current can flow through a terminal like a water tap/faucet

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-20, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 154 Votes on 138 Posts
I understand Amps is the measure of how much current can flow through a terminal like a water tap/faucet
That is correct. Amps is a measurement of the flow of electrons through a conductor.

What happens if I plug a 6 amp device/appliance into a 15 amps socket ( basically a higher amp socket) ?
Nothing. It draws 6 amps. 15 amps is the maximum amount of current that is allowed to flow in the circuit. This is limited by an overcurrent device (fuse or circuit breaker) The overcurrent device is directly sized but the wire size in the circuit and some other factors.

will it cause any damage to the socket or device ? as in will the 6 amp device pull in more electrical current and burn off ?
No. An electrical device or "load" will only draw the current it is designed to. A 6 amp device will only draw 6 amps of current regardless of the amp rating of a circuit.