Nail protection plates on top, bottom plates

Old 07-02-20, 09:22 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nail protection plates on top, bottom plates

I am wondering if people use nail protection plates on the top and bottom plates, and the fire blocking, in addition to the studs.
I. Using the 1.5Ēx3Ē nail stop plates on the studs where I have wires going through, but Iím wondering if I should also do that where wires penetrate horizontal members of the wall. Iíd assume itís mostly for picture hanging and such, but I guess thereís also the issue of drywall fasters. I guess you could make marks on ceiling drywall and the floor, but sometimes when your trying to getír done it would be easy to forget to look.
anyway, just curious how people view this.
thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-20, 09:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 225 Posts
If the cable doesn't go thru the center of the stud you need a nail plate. Our electrical inspector require fire caulk where the the cable goes thru the top plate.

Old 07-02-20, 09:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 566 Votes on 519 Posts
You use nail plates anytime a wire is less than 1 1/4" from the surface of the framing. And "framing" includes any wood member. If the wire is more than 1 1/4" from the surface of the framing, they are not required.

No fastener should really penetrate more than 1" into the framing. If it does, it's too long.

Old 07-05-20, 10:17 AM
Received 71 Votes on 62 Posts
Our electrical inspector require fire caulk where the the cable goes thru the top plate.
I have heard that before. Although it's a good requirement, the NEC doesn't require it. I've never had the opportunity to challenge an electrical inspector on a requirement like that, but I'd like to get the chance and ask him to point me to where in the NEC to find the requirement. The areas I am most familiar with have a building inspector who would require this in residential work and both building inspector and fire marshal who would require it in commercial/residential work.