Repairing laptop power supply cable

Old 07-04-20, 11:51 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing laptop power supply cable

It looks as though the connector on my wife's laptop's power supply has failed. So, I found a power supply whose AC adapter failed, but the connector matched and appears to work. The problem is, when I opened up the insulation to solder up the inner cables (color matching color), I discovered that one power adapter used blue/white/black cables, and the other used only white with a thick mesh of wire surrounding it. I gather they cannot go together (right?) but what's the deal with the mismatch?

Thanks so much for helping.

Last edited by PJmax; 07-04-20 at 12:49 PM. Reason: added pic fron link
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-20, 12:07 PM
L
Received 50 Votes on 46 Posts
What brand of laptop is this?
Some laptops has ID pin used to determine what size charger is installed and adjust charging current accordingly.
If you are sure you have the correct connector, you will have to use multimeter to determine which wires goes where.

Old 07-04-20, 01:13 PM
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
Yeah Dell and HP are notorious for using the "ID" pin. I am sure there are other makers jumping on that bandwagon now. I have a few Dell laptops and they complain if it can't detect the ID pin however you can disable that in the computers BIOS setup. I have an official Dell power adapter that the cord got bent and the ID cannot be detected with 100% reliability now shame too it is a 90W one.

Old 07-04-20, 03:02 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I apologize for not mentioning the brand of laptop: it's a Dell. So, I'm assuming this "ID" pin is what allows the computer to complain when you plug adapter meant for A into a computer requiring B? I see this warning from time to time.

...what I'm hearing, then is I should just find the "ID" pin, don't power that ,and identify what wires do require power, and power those accordingly (I have a voltmeter and can do this).

Old 07-04-20, 04:10 PM
L
Received 50 Votes on 46 Posts
I'm not sure about modern Dell, but Dell laptops about 10 years ago required ID pin for battery to charge. Laptop let you power the laptop without ID pin, but charging function will be disabled with error message.
Dell uses 1 wire communication to a microchip inside power supply instead of a simple resistance method. Power supply reports how many watts it can supply to a laptop and if your laptop requires more power then power supply can supply, there will be a warning message and will not charge in this case as well.

All dell laptop power supplies with ID pin has 3 wires.

http://www.khngai.com/images/blog/20...adaptor_02.jpg

This is how dell genuine power supplies wire look like.
Basically it is 3 layered wire.

Maybe you removed too many insulation?

Old 07-04-20, 06:42 PM
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
Yes modern Dells still do the same (charging disabled) thing as the ones from 10 years ago. As said the computer will still power up just not charge the battery and throw that warning message