Electric Cable under a patio

Old 06-12-01, 09:27 AM
Visiting Guest
I am building a brick patio under which I would like to run an electric supply to the other side. The patio will have a 7 inch base of grade 8 and sand. I am in Illinois. The cable will be used to supply an outlet and patio lighting. What type of cable should I use and does it need to be in conduit. What depth should it be buried.

Any ideas welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-01, 05:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
If nothing else, I'd use a section of large conduit as a chase under the patio. That way, if your needs change in the future you are already set to make changes without having to go completely around or under your bricks.

Being in a frost zone, I'd go well below your frost line (I'm in FL, so I couldn't even guess what the recommended depth in IL is.

Old 06-12-01, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Conduit is a good idea, although probably not required (others can say better than I). If you don't use conduit, you can probably just put UF cable at the bottom of the sand base. Below frost line is not necessary, and not feasible in many areas. Some places have frost lines 4 feet deep.

Old 06-13-01, 02:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
The UF alone would do the job. Looking ahead of current needs is where using conduit saves your bacon. I'd go a size larger than the minimum to handle the circuit needed right now.