electrical codes

Old 06-12-01, 09:42 AM
Visiting Guest
i am rewiring my house,i live in okla.the permit says to follow the international electrical codes.am having trouble locating anything on this subject.all help greatly appreciated.
THANKS JOEA_4

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-01, 10:20 AM
Many localities across the US have, such as L.A. and Chicago to name a couple, their own electrical codes, but most defer to the "National Electrical Code" (NEC), or NFPA 70. I seldom see reference to the international electrical code. But that's going to change soon I think. As I understand it the 2002 revision of the NEC is going to become the International Electrical Code.

Anyway, you can access the entire current edition of the NEC at http://www.mikeholt.com/nec/nec.htm. It is often difficult for lay persons to read and understand. It often uses its own language and terms. It might be helpful getting started by reviewing article 100, definitions.

Alternately, there is one book I happen to know of, by Ray C. Mullin/Delmar Publishers called "House Wiring with the NEC", which I found at Borders for $28,95.`

I would suggest that you ask your local code enforcement office if they are refering to the 1999 NEC, which is the latest edition at this time.

Hope that helps.

Juice