Old 07-07-20, 03:45 PM
Received 74 Votes on 65 Posts
Pass & Seymour Receptacle Recall

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2020/Pa...to-Burn-Hazard

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-20, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 175 Votes on 157 Posts
Thanks for the post. Good thing we rarely use tamper-resistant receptacles in commercial work.

Old 07-07-20, 03:54 PM
Exactly! Unless there has been a recent code change I don't believe tamper resistant receptacles are ever required in commercial installations, but some people buy commercial grade devices for their homes.

What happened to the sticky that used to have all the recalls in it?

Old 07-07-20, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Just an FYI, There are some locations that tamper-resistant receptacles are required that might be more considered "Commercial" but we have not worked on any as of yet. They are required in the following locations under 2017 NEC:1) Dwelling units in all areas specified in 210.52 and 550.13

(2) Guest rooms and guest suites of hotels and motels

(3) Child care facilities

(4) Preschools and elementary education facilities

(5) Business offices, corridors, waiting rooms and the like in clinics, medical and dental offices and outpatient facilities

(6) Subset of assembly occupancies described in 518.2 to include places of waiting transportation, gymnasiums, skating rinks, and auditoriums

(7) Dormitories

I have not picked up a 2020 NEC book yet so there might be locations.

What happened to the sticky that used to have all the recalls in it?
Not sure. Must have got lost in the shuffle.

Old 07-07-20, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 875 Posts
Recall forum........................ https://www.doityourself.com/forum/s...lls-alerts-83/

Old 07-07-20, 06:52 PM
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
I despise those tamper resistant devices I avoid them like the plague (COVID-19). I replaced all of the receptacles in my apartment with Leviton 5252 (15A) and Leviton BR20-W (20A). Anytime I replace a receptacle I only use those commercial grade ones. The NEC has become a manufacturers lobbying paradise AFCI GFCI TR WR Extra Heavy Duty, etc. I think GFCI is a great technology but it is going too far, I mean there are people of age here (no offense to the older people here) if you got hurt by something you learned not to do that. Common sense is not so common in today's world.

Old 07-08-20, 04:59 PM
They are required in the following locations under 2017 NEC:1) Dwelling units in all areas specified in 210.52 and 550.13
There ya go, I consider that a recent code change and I am not up to speed on the 2017 NEC. Previously I don't believe TR receptacles were required in commercial establishments.

I have not picked up a 2020 NEC book yet so there might be locations.
I am sure the locations will be expanded in 2020. The only major change I have read about in the 2020 code is a new requirement to have a circuit breaker disconnect in all meter sockets. I am sure that will have to be coordinated between local AHJs and the utility companies.

Old 07-08-20, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
new requirement to have a circuit breaker disconnect in all meter sockets.
Basically it is just a main disconnect at the meter socket. Likely what will happen is they will be intergraded into the meter socket.

It will be nice for thieves. They can just kill the power to the house before they break-in.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 07-08-20, 06:03 PM
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
@ Tolyn Ironhand,
Could they have a lock installed to prevent that issue? Where I live the meters are outside and so is the main breaker (wired after the meter on the load side), however there is a provision for a pad-lock to be installed.

Also would it be wired on the Line or Load side of the meter? If it wired on the Line side that would also make it easier for electricity thieves to steal power as you could remove and bypass the meter without getting zapped.

Old 07-09-20, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
For sure it is installed on the load side of a meter. Most power companies require meter sockets with a bypass handle so they can remove the meter for servicing.

The padlock would defeat the purpose of the fire department accessing it to kill the power to a house, but they likely carry bolt cutters I guess.

If I was killing power to a house I would just cut the seal on the meter and remove the meter. I guess the fire dept is afraid of a little arcing.

Old 07-10-20, 10:34 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 86 Posts
If I was killing power to a house I would just cut the seal on the meter and remove the meter. I guess the fire dept is afraid of a little arcing.
I got lost one day reading fire department online forums about how different departments handle meter pulls. Some do it using a meter puller and are required to be in full turnout/PPE gear to do it. Others aren't allowed at all to do it - they have to wait for the POCO to show up. Then they were laughing how the POCO guy shows up in sneakers and a tee shirt and pulls it.

If you're ever bored and looking to waste a few hours - recommended reading