AFCI trip

Old 07-08-20, 09:20 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
AFCI trip

Our home is newly rewired. Per code AFCI breakers were installed in the bedrooms. My wife has done her ironing in our bedroom for years. Now whenever she tries to iron it pops the AFCI breaker. The same thing happened with her hair curlers. My electrician (not an AFCI fan) says that probably what is happening is that the iron produces some transients when the heating element cycles on and off and the breaker sees it as an arc. Is this common or could there be something else going on causing them to trip?

We had our final inspection and everything went well except we got gigged for not having AFCI breakers for the microwave, dishwasher, and refrigerator. The inspector says they are required by the latest code revision. My electrician says he's not aware of that requirement and he works off the 2017 version of the NEC. In any case he changed the breakers to AFCI. It seems that AFCI requirements are spreading like coronavirus - but I have yet to talk to anyone, including our building inspector that has anything good to say about them.

Old 07-08-20, 09:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
not having AFCI breakers for the microwave, dishwasher, and refrigerator.
Yes..... having an AFCI on kitchen appliances has gone over the edge.
I agree 100% that they should be in all the sleeping areas.

Yes.... the thermostat opening can cause a transient spike.
Maybe change the breaker to a different one.

Old 07-08-20, 10:39 AM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 69 Posts
what timing I have leviton tech center on hold right now about a newish microwave tripping their ACFI breaker. Two different circuits also... Also seen it with the reefer, and a vacuum cleaner. All diff circuits and none have back-stabbed recepts.
ps: since this is a web enable breaker, the manufacturer can see the trip events and rework the AFCI algorithm to hopefully eliminate the false trips. Breaker firmware updates via the web.

Old 07-08-20, 04:34 PM
Received 78 Upvotes on 73 Posts
Lol! a circuit breaker with firmware what is the world coming to? the NEC has and is going to far with all of these "technological" advances they are now nothing more the a lobby to promote manufactures products being forced down customers throats all in the name of safety (or more likely money is the key issue here)

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 07-08-20, 05:01 PM
T
Eaton has had to replace thousands of fielded AFCI breakers in the last few years due to RFI induced false trips. All magic has a price...

Old 07-08-20, 05:17 PM
Received 78 Upvotes on 73 Posts
AFCI technology is still relatively new though so they should not be jammed down customers throats yet. They are still considered JUNK to me, when they reach a reliability level that the modern GFCI device has I will take them off the junk list but for now I avoid them, luckily I have not even seen one installed here yet.

Old 07-08-20, 05:25 PM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
I have at least 8. In the 2-4 weeks we have been in the house I have had to reset them 4-5 times.

Old 07-08-20, 05:27 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
I haven't experienced any problem with AFCI since I don't have one at my home. But I heard early AFCI breakers had high rate of false trips. Newer ones are supposed to be improved, but I don't know by how much.

I figured price of AFCI would come down at least about same to GFCI breakers by now, but they haven't.

Old 07-08-20, 05:27 PM
T
About a $1500 to $2000 cost adder to a large home panel. Smart breaker near double even that figure. Smart money keeps them off any refrigeration circuits.

Old 07-08-20, 06:34 PM
T
CW: r u transmitting in the hf range? Early Eaton AFCI will trip out. But they will replace for free a new version

Old 07-08-20, 08:25 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
Personally, I would replace trouble some AFCI with regular breaker if this was my house. I don't believe AFCI really improve safety much so long as wiring is done properly.
Doing so is 100% on your own risk and should put AFCI back when you sell your home.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: