Running board

Old 07-11-20, 05:07 AM
C
Received 76 Votes on 60 Posts
Running board

I am about to start wiring my garage. When I submitted my permit request I talked to the building inspector about using exposed NM-b in an unfinished garage. He told me that it was OK as long as any exposed cable below a certain height was protected by a "running board".

I neglected to ask what a running board is in this application. I'm assuming that it is some sort of blocking designed to protect the exposed cable. Any details?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-20, 05:24 AM
Received 57 Votes on 53 Posts
Hi, a running board would be installed across the studs or ceiling joists and then the cable would be stapled to it, if the garage is unfinished you could drill the studs and pull the cable through.
Geo

Old 07-11-20, 02:28 PM
B
Received 75 Votes on 66 Posts
Save yourself a lot of headaches down the road by not installing any electrical wire on the stud surface facing the inside of garage. You will find 100s of uses for that surface.

Old 07-11-20, 03:14 PM
J
Received 212 Votes on 188 Posts
I think but not sure that even running though the studs below a certain height requires running boards. It is to prevent people from using the cables as a support for storing stuff like poles and shovels in the stud bay.

Old 07-11-20, 03:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 78 Votes on 66 Posts
The NEC does not have a height restriction on exposed cable in a garage. Instead it just says where subject to physical damage it shall be protected.

Old 07-11-20, 04:00 PM
C
Received 76 Votes on 60 Posts
The local building inspector was the one that mentioned using running boards below a certain height. I can't remember what that was but I think it was something like cable over 6 1/2' doesn't need protection.

Old 07-11-20, 06:16 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 86 Posts
Running boards (usually 1x3s) are used when running the cable down a cement block wall.

I usually use EMT conduit to sleeve the cables going down an unfinished garage wall. It gives a nice clean look and is good protection for the cabling.