Power from meter to circuit panel 200 feet away

Old 07-11-20, 10:12 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Power from meter to circuit panel 200 feet away

I am building a shop and am going to have a 200 amp circuit breaker box. I have to run an underground burial line(I will do it in conduit) that will go close to 200 feet to my meter box. Next to my meter box I also want a small circuit breaker box so I can run off of it a few outdoor lights and possibly a small heater in a nearby large doghouse/kennel. From the meter my public utility company will run from the meter to a junction box around 30 feet away. Out of that junction box comes the line to my actual house, which is a 200 amp set up for itself. from the junction box it runs the line under the street and to the transformer. Can someone please tell me exactly how to set this up from the meter to each circuit breakers? I'm told to use 4.0 aluminum underground cable. Is this a cable with three 4.0 cables intertwined? How many grounding rods? And do I run a separate 4.0 green aluminum ground wire because of the circuit breaker at the meter? Does that cable go from the first circuit breaker box to the 200 amp circuit breaker box at my shop? Thank you.

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

07-12-20, 07:15 AM
pattenp
Received 70 Votes on 56 Posts
The OP needs to clarify better the layout. Seems to be to much ambiguous information.
At least I'm confused.

Old 07-11-20, 11:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 934 Votes on 871 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

This work is all inspectable and needs a permit.
Are you doing this work all yourself ?
It sounds like you should be working with an electrician.

The power company supplies unmetered power to your meter first and then everything is broken out from there. You would have a 200A meter pan with an attached disconnect panel or a separate disconnect panel. From the disconnect panel to all locations is considered a sub panel and requires four wires. You can have a maximum of six breaker handles in the disconnect panel.

As I re-read your opening post.... I can't tell if this is one meter or two.
You mention poco splice box but there isn't usually a splice/tee in an underground service line.

Old 07-12-20, 04:07 AM
A
Received 64 Votes on 62 Posts
"" Out of that junction box comes the line to my actual house, which is a 200 amp set up for itself. from the junction box it runs the line under the street and to the transformer.""

Huh? There is no transformer or street on the way to your house after the meter box. Or is there?

The power company will run the (hot-hot-neutral-ground) line from the meter box with 200 amp disconnect underneath) as you said to a location of your choice up to 30 feet away and put a junction box there. At the junction box you can (should) have a panel with a 200 amp breaker set for the house ca. 200 feet away and a breaker set for the dog kennel.

With appropriate logistics coordination the power company could run the cable 30 feet directly to your 200 amp panel instead of to a junction box. Or maybe skip the 30 foot run and put the aforementioned panel at the meter box as mentioned above.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-12-20 at 04:34 AM.
Old 07-12-20, 07:15 AM
P
Received 70 Votes on 56 Posts
The OP needs to clarify better the layout. Seems to be to much ambiguous information.
At least I'm confused.

CasualJoe, Drangd voted this post useful.
Old 07-13-20, 06:22 PM
H
I was working with an electrician. I am going to pull the permit myself. I have to have a separate dedicated line. From a meter box of it's own and am going 200 feet underground with aluminum cable to a 200 amp circuit breaker inside my shop. But on the pole with the meter I also want to put a small circuit breaker box to power a few small things within close proximity to my new meter box. I was told to use a 4.0 URD cable in 2" conduit(preferred), that I would need to run a 4.0 green ground wire alongside, because of my extra panel and 2 ground rods with #6 bare ground wire.

Old 07-13-20, 06:28 PM
H
My current house line goes from the transformer, under the street, to a junction box, then to my meter, then to my house. My electrician said that the PUD will only need to tap into the junction box(already existing box with lid on it buried in the ground to surface level) and not have to put a separate line under the road and to the transformer. Then from that junction box where they come out of they will go to a separate meter that my shop line comes off of.

Old 07-14-20, 07:39 AM
Received 74 Votes on 65 Posts
I was told to use a 4.0 URD cable in 2" conduit(preferred), that I would need to run a 4.0 green ground wire alongside,
You need to start by finding a new electrician. When you need a 4-wire feed to a building URD is the wrong product to use as it cannot enter the envelope of a building because it lacks the required fire ratings. Adding a 4th green ground wire is a hack way of providing a 4-wire feed too. What you should get is 4/0-4/0-4/0-2/0 MHF (Mobile Home Feeder) which has all the conductors you need and can, by the NEC, enter the building envelope.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-S...e-Foot/3129329

Old 07-14-20, 10:04 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 91 Votes on 85 Posts
The basics are:
  • 3-wire 4/0 from the junction box (most POCOs want you to leave a couple feet just outside the box, they pull it into the box and make the connection here) to the power pole/meter. It sounds like your POCO is going to run this for you.
  • At the power pole, you'll have a 200A meter pan and NEMA-rated (outdoor) breaker panel. Sounds like a 4-space panel will work for you. The meter/panel can be a combined unit or separate.
  • The structure to hold this meter and panel needs to be approved by the POCO unless it's attached to a building. It's often built out of 6x6 posts or Unistrut.
  • At this power pole/meter/panel, you'll need two 8' copper ground rods, at least 6' apart.
  • From the power pole to the house, you'll use the 4-wire 4/0 to your house.
  • At your house, it'll go into a main breaker panel, where the neutrals and grounds are separated.
  • At the house, you'll need another 1 or 2 ground rods (depending on how your locale reads the grounding requirements)
Make sure you or your electrician has read your power company's manual for underground connections. Each have specific requirements on the type of meter base, how the cabling/conduits are run, etc. They are all similar, but won't connect unless it meets their requirements.

Good luck!

Old 07-14-20, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 934 Votes on 871 Posts
Did you verify with the Poco that they will allow two meters on a residential property ?
My Poco does not..... unless it's a rental property.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.