Electrical outlet help

Old 07-12-20, 02:00 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrical outlet help

I'm fairly new to electrical. I've wired a sound system before and replaced some outlets, but have not done much when it comes to electrical. I'm thinking about adding a kitchen island and adding an outlet to the island and I found this electrical box underneath my kitchen in the basement. It's marked "island" and looks like the cable coming through the box and right through the flooring to the 1st floor next to a duct. Am I correct that this was possibly added when the house was built for an optional island but never used? Would I have to tie it into the existing kitchen outlets if I want to add an outlet on the island? What's the advantage of this box if I was already planning on tapping into the existing circuit? Thanks for any help to this

Old 07-12-20, 02:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That certainly looks like it was there for an island.
A dedicated circuit for the island is ideal as it can't be on with the other countertop receptacles.
Interesting to see if there is a breaker installed for it or will you need one.

Old 07-12-20, 03:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
Am I correct that this was possibly added when the house was built for an optional island but never used?
I suspect you are correct.

Would I have to tie it into the existing kitchen outlets if I want to add an outlet on the island?
No, the island can be a separate circuit. It just has to be 20 amp and GFCI protected.

What's the advantage of this box if I was already planning on tapping into the existing circuit?
As PJmax mentioned, having a separate circuit for the island is a good idea as you are not adding potential load to the existing countertop circuits.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: