wiring gfi's in new work

Old 06-12-01, 06:09 PM
Visiting Guest
i am a formen for a construction company on a big renovation. Within it a new kitchen. The electricians worker was doing the rough for the center island in the middle of the kitchen. It is about 10 feet long and within it will have a sink,garbage disposal,microwave, and recepticles at both ends in the vertical panels. Myself and the owner were discussing the additional work that was added because there originally was no island. The electrical worker says he will pull a 3wire for the recepticles and the microwave.Now I do know that because these are within 6 feet of water they have to be gfi. Years ago on two separate occasions in bathroom upgrades I needed two circuts added.I asked a different electrician if he could pull a 3 wire. One being for a gfi and the other for either lights or a fan. The owner of this reputable company said that you cannot do this and I believe it was because the two separate circut would be sharing the neutrel and a gfi should not be on that circut .I think it was because the gfi can sense the load imbalance if the other circut sharing the neutral is being use. Im thinking that A and B phases alternate so maybe its not a problem. However I was told it not supposed to be done. So with this in mind I Questioned the worker about this in reference to running a 3 wire to the kitchen island. Well today all hell broke lose and it wasnt pretty. All because I asked the worker to check with his boss an electrician. But I must tell you Im P.O.ed. So my Question is should you do this? Can you do this to code? If you can do this is ther anything else that has to be done provision wise in doing ti this way? Finally should it not be done? Sorry for the length of the surronding details. Please respond as soon as you can. Thank You Ray

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-01, 06:11 AM
Ray:

You're right. He'll need to pull 2 runs of 12-3 to the island.

Old 06-13-01, 06:16 AM
Ray:

You're right about the GFI not being able to share a neutral. He'll need to pull at least 2 runs of 12-3 to the island. The microwave may need to be on a separate circuit. Check with the local inspector.

Old 06-13-01, 10:31 AM
resqcapt19
Visiting Guest
If the GFCI is a breaker you can't use the 12-3. If it is a GFCI receptacle you can.
Don(resqapt19)