Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Code safe installation for extending outlets to adjacent room

Old 07-20-20, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have an issue where we have a lot of electrical equipment in one room that we fitted with a lot of outlets that are on their own circuits. Well we want to move the electrical equipment to a room that is adjacent to it but we have already installed all the outlets and ran the circuits to that room. Appearance isn't much of an issue but what I was considering doing sense all the outlets are currently flush with the wall is installing one of those box extensions that jettison the outlet out some and have punch out holes on the sides. After that I would install `1/2" metal conduit on it and run the metal conduit on the wall and then through the wall to the adjacent room where I would install a metal box on the wall. The electricity would be run along the walls and through the wall, which isn't the best look, but I don't care as they should be hidden. Is it code safe to do that.

Old 07-20-20, 02:39 PM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Hi, what type of wall are you dealing with? post some pics of what the area looks like, are you putting extensions on more then box?
Geo

Old 07-20-20, 03:55 PM
J
Received 300 Votes on 257 Posts
You need these, through the wall box.

Or you could cut holes on the opposite wall not quite in line with the existing receptacle. reach into the holes and feed NM-B into the existing box. pull it out the new hole. Install in new box. Insert new box into hole.

Zorfdt voted this post useful.
Old 07-20-20, 04:48 PM
P
Received 125 Votes on 99 Posts
You may know this, but depending on what code cycle you are on, extending/modifying an outlet circuit requires the addition of AFCI protection.

Old 07-20-20, 08:14 PM
So the included shows the image of the electrical outlets. The red box shows the wall where I want the electrical outlets to be extended to but on the other side. The blue shows the direction from the outlets to the red box. How about this? Is this suitable for code? To create a hole big enough and install casing and a wall jamb on it then just run electrical cords through it. I understand that cords cannot go through walls but technically this would be different. However, I don't know if it is still acceptable. The hole would probably have the dimensions of 12" by 12".

URL for image incase it doesn't show correctly:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18a2...ew?usp=sharing

Old 07-21-20, 05:29 AM
Hi, itís hard to tell whatís going on, is there a suspended ceiling in the room? if there is not a stud in that corner you maybe able to go straight into the next wall along that wall, at any rate non metallic raceway would probably work.
https://www.homedepot.com/s/Wire%252...20boxes?NCNI-5
Geo

Old 07-21-20, 09:14 AM
There is a suspended ceiling.

Tried to do my best with the picture. I think the wiremold extension boxes were what my first idea was. I take it it is also possible to do this using flexible metal conduit and the extension box located below.

To explain the picture more I was thinking that I could make a large opening in the wall near the floor. The opening would be about 12 by 12 and be finished like in the picture below; And then I would run regular extension cords through it. The below image is just an example of a large opening that is finished. I was thinking about doing the same thing but making it around 12 by 12 and closer to the ground.

This might enable me to run regular extension cords to the other side of the wall like shown below:

However, is it code compliant?

Old 07-21-20, 11:02 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 161 Votes on 143 Posts
I think the plan using extension boxes and EMT or Wiremold is a good solution.

Extension cords are only allowed for temporary use, and many areas don't allow them at all because they aren't protected (whereas power strips have built-in circuit breakers). There's also the issue with running them through the wall, which isn't allowed.

Old 07-21-20, 12:57 PM
Ok... I appreciate it. I wasn't sure what it would be for code. Sense I was making a big hole and finishing it I wasn't sure if that qualified or not for going through the wall.

Old 07-21-20, 01:14 PM
Hi, if you have a suspended ceiling can you pull the cables up into the ceiling and relocate them correctly instead of this make shift solution, you canít use that handy box extension.
are those outlets in old work boxes?
Geo

Old 07-22-20, 02:10 PM
So are you saying that I cannot use the metallic box extension and flexible metal conduit? I think that i am dealing with a combination of both. Most of them should be new work boxes because they were just put in. However I think that the room has one circuit in it that is old work boxes. Thanks...

Old 07-24-20, 12:33 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 161 Votes on 143 Posts
So are you saying that I cannot use the metallic box extension and flexible metal conduit?
Nope, metal boxes and metal conduit is good. Note that flexible conduit (FMC) requires a separate ground wire (whereas EMT doesn't require a ground wire).

Shouldn't matter if the existing boxes are old work or new work boxes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: