jump in daily usage from apx 6 KW to over 25KW???

Old 07-22-20, 11:49 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi:

Just got latest electric bill and I am stunned at the large increase in daily consumption--
with no change in my daily routine.

Only thing I can think of is maybe my refrig finally getting tired, with the compressor running all the time?
What is the apx wattage draw on a running refrig compressor? (Can't seem to fathom 18 KW over a 24-hour period!)

Any of you folks have an idea or experience?

Thanks,
s/Mike

Old 07-23-20, 01:04 AM
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
Do you mean "KWH" daily consumption or "KW" demand (A measure of highest current draw in a 15 or so minute interval)?

If you are referring to KWH, 180 KWH a month sounds very low, whereas 750 KWH/month is quite reasonable for an all electric home in the summer.

Old 07-23-20, 06:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 755 Votes on 694 Posts
"...with the compressor running all the time?"
Well, is it running continuously or much more than it used to? All you have to do is go near it and listen to see if it's running.

"What is the apx wattage draw on a running refrig compressor?"
Roll your fridge out and look on the data plate/sticker that is usually on the back. It should tell you it's running power consumption.

How has the weather been in your area the past several months? Here in NC it was a pretty mild spring then in a few days we jumped to full on summer temperatures every day. Within a couple days my AC went from running very sporadically to cycling on/off frequently day & night.

Old 07-23-20, 09:11 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Hi, just look on the door jamb of the fridge, all that information should be there.
Geo

Old 07-23-20, 09:37 AM
T
Received 47 Votes on 46 Posts
I have consumption monitoring on several circuits in the house, including the fridge and a couple bedrooms. I will say the fridge is surprisingly low, at an average of 2kWh per day. 2017 model.
OTOH, I have two daughters that constantly run fans, ceiling and portable ones, and that circuit, with the wifi and cable modem, are about the same kWh usage.

make sure you don't have a water heater piping leak. Or the fridge defroster stuck on.
Is there dust covering the condenser tubes at the bottom?

Old 07-23-20, 01:14 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips

Thanks for the tips.
Yeah, sorry for the assumed shorthand. Yes, I mean KWH.

Whatever changed, it was overnight.

Will check the name plates and see if I can determine what might be happening.

Cheers.

Old 07-23-20, 01:57 PM
T
Received 47 Votes on 46 Posts
Still confused. 25kWh costs about $3.00 in many markets. Varies from $.04 To $.16 per kWh.

Old 07-24-20, 11:56 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
6kwh avg. daily usage seems very low in this day & age. Check with your electric company and see if they have changed your meter. If you had one that was faulty that would account for the daily increase. Back in the day 500kwh was considered AVG monthly usage.

ferd42 voted this post useful.
Old 07-24-20, 07:23 PM
A
Received 110 Votes on 102 Posts
A leak in the hot water plumbing is a very common cause of unexpected and sometimes sudden high energy usage.

If you have an all-electric water heater then try closing the supply (cold inlet) to the water heater overnight and when no one is using hot water for hours at a time to see if power consumption goes down.

ferd42 voted this post useful.
Old 07-25-20, 07:59 AM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
A jump from 6 kwh to 25 kwh in transition from a mild Spring to hot Summer sounds pretty normal for anyone who is conservatively keeping bills down by keeping unused lights off. I am assuming that on the 25 kwh days the A-C is running and that you have a gas water heater. I would also expect the 6 kwh days to jump closer to 10-12 kwh on days laundry is being done if you have an electric dryer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: