Simple switch wiring question...

Old 07-24-20, 11:07 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Simple switch wiring question...

Hi all, feeling a bit stupid asking this...

I had to disconnect the wires from a switch on my sauna, because i was pushing it over as I was installing a new floor in the basement. I told myself i would take a picture of the wires before disconnecting. unfortunately i forgot, but I did take one right after pulling them out:

The wires are very stiff, so I trusted that it was true that the white one is on top of the black one.

After pushing the sauna back, I reconnected like this:

To explain: The white wire, I connected opposite of the black wire on the other side. And the black wire i connected opposite of the white wire on the other side. This did not make any sense, but it really seemed that they were like that before.

However, the sauna heats up funny now. I makes more buzz and does not reach the same temperature.

Any thoughts on what I did wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-24-20, 12:20 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
Do you have a multi meter?

Are there any markings on the back of the switch?

Without seeing more about the switch I can't tell for certain where you should connect the wires. Often, but not always, the wires being switched are across from each other. So, you would have both black wires on the very left followed by your two white wires on the middle pair of screws. Another way would have both black wires on one side of the switch (away from the camera) and both whites on the other side. But there should be some markings on the switch to tell you or you can check with a meter.

Old 07-24-20, 12:26 PM
J
Received 295 Votes on 254 Posts
Looks like a double pole switch for 240 volts.
The terminals might be marked as L1 and L2. those would be the line connections from the panel.
The spa connections might be marked T1 and T2.

Old 07-24-20, 01:25 PM
D
Thanks for the responses!

I have a multi-meter and I could use it to check which connects to which...

If I can determine that. should I assume that White goes to white and Black to black?

Old 07-24-20, 01:42 PM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Hi, that looks like a double pole double through switch, in which case the line should go to the center terminals across from each other, but this should be verified with a meter.
Geo

Old 07-24-20, 01:57 PM
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
That all depends on the internal construction of the switch. Post a picture of the front and any markings you can see on the back of it and we can determine on how it is to be wired.

Old 07-24-20, 02:30 PM
D
Thanks again!

So I found the markings L1 and T1 straight across, L2 and T2 straight across and L3 and T3 straight across. I also checked extra with a multi-meter that each one goes straight across (overkill? )

Anyway, I put it so that white goes to white and black to black. Turned on the sauna and now it seems good...

240 Volts makes sense, since it is a Finnish brand sauna.

All of this happened because I forgot to take a picture and only remembered to take a picture after I pulled the wires out. The strange thing is how those very rigid wires were able to swap places like that...

Thanks...

Old 07-24-20, 06:46 PM
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
Glad you got it although I'm surprised that you did not trip a breaker or destroy the sauna. Being Finnish makes no difference as these high current devices are almost all 240V anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: