AFCI Popping Challenges

Old 07-24-20, 02:02 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking AFCI Popping Challenges

I live in FL so to pass inspection we had to have an AFCI installed on a circuit with a couple of outlets in my bedroom. Previous owners had drilled through the concrete block walls behind one outlet under a window and put in a junction box with 10' of conduit to an outlet and another 10' of conduit to an LED motion detector light on the eaves. It worked fine until a recent storm when the AFCI popped. I opened the outlet leading outside and disconnected the lead to the outside and breaker doesn't pop.
I next went outside and noticed the older outlet was looking poor so I replaced that and disconnected the motion detector light, and breaker doesn't pop. When I reconnected the light, the breaker pops- so I bought a new light, the breaker still pops with the new light.
So I decided I've got bad cable in the conduit and I took new cable hooked it directly to the internal outlet and hooked up the new light (before I pulled it through the conduit)- AFCI breaker pops- with only a new wire and light (no outlet, no conduit) in the circuit. I double checked everything I could, no clue. So what do I do now? I'd like to have the protection AFCI provides especially for an external circuit but this is Florida and we get lots of wind driven rain.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-20, 03:55 PM
P
Received 94 Votes on 74 Posts
If you research LED lights on AFCI protected circuit you'll find that some LED's can cause tripping.
Could be a faulty AFCI breaker.

Old 07-25-20, 05:58 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I forgot to mention that I had initially swapped out the AFCI for a GFCI I had, and the GFCI kept popping too. I suppose the AFCI could have gone bad while I was doing other troubleshooting.

It's just weird that I can get it to work fine if I have the new outlet in the circuit. But that it trips any time I have the LED light in the circuit. It worked fine for 6 months until that rainstorm. I'll look at the AFCI again. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-25-20, 07:40 AM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
the GFCI kept popping too
That tells me you have a fault somewhere.