installing a new outlet through studs

Old 07-27-20, 02:35 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
installing a new outlet through studs

I'd like to install a new outlet on the other side of our bathroom where we have an electric toilet seat we brought back from Japan. I'd need to branch off the current outlet and run under the sink counter, then horizontally through a wall and past/through probably 5 or 6 studs. I'm looking for an easier way to do that that does not involve busting many holes in the plaster to access the studs.

It it acceptable to pull the baseboards and run molex under there, then cover the wire with the baseboard? Because it's in a bathroom I'm a little more concerned than your average outlet. It would be connected to a GFCI circuit.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-20, 02:47 PM
L
Received 58 Votes on 53 Posts
The cable has to be protected from being nailed or screwed on. Running it under the baseboard is not a good option because of this.
If you notch studs and put still plates over the cable before baseboard is re-installed, then it is acceptable.

If your joists run parallel to path of the cable, easiest way with minimal cut on drywall is running the cable over the ceiling.
If you have attic above it is even easier. You may not even need to cut any drywall if you have attic above.

toecheese voted this post useful.
Old 07-27-20, 03:04 PM
J
Received 237 Votes on 208 Posts
What is below? If it is an open ceiling basement, you could go down, across and back up.

Old 07-27-20, 03:18 PM
T
Thanks. No attic above, no basement below. Ceiling is drywall on studs so likely the same problem as with the walls. I think notching the studs under the baseboards and then covering them with sill plates sounds like the best plan.

Is molex acceptable for running under a sink counter and through the notched studs?

Old 07-27-20, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,045 Votes on 969 Posts
That would be called romex or technically NM-b cable. You'd probably need 12-2 NM-b with ground cable as most bathrooms are on a 20A circuit and wired in #12.

Old 07-27-20, 09:04 PM
T
Would something like this be considered a safe alternative in a bathroom?

https://www.legrand.us/wiremold/at-h...c-raceway.aspx

Old 07-28-20, 04:24 AM
J
Received 237 Votes on 208 Posts
I would not notch the studs. Drill holes.

Old 07-28-20, 04:54 AM
Received 67 Votes on 63 Posts
Hi, why not run the non metallic raceway in that link right above the baseboard, terminate under the cabinet with a junction box.
Geo

Old 07-28-20, 09:21 AM
T
Yeah the raceway seems like the best option, so long as it's considered safe around water since it'll be in a bathroom. I'd run Romex under the sink, then through about a 3-4 foot run of raceway above the baseboard ending in an outlet next to the toilet. There's no tub in the room, just an enclosed standing shower, so the chances of anything getting splashed are very low.

Drilling the studs is not an option. I'd need to bust open huge sections of the wall to do that.

Last edited by toecheese; 07-28-20 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-28-20, 09:55 AM
Received 67 Votes on 63 Posts
It should be fine, run it just above the baseboard, hopefully you donít have that much water in the bathroom.
Geo

Old 07-28-20, 10:11 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 107 Votes on 99 Posts
Yeah the raceway seems like the best option, so long as it's considered safe around water since it'll be in a bathroom.
Agreed, no problem with Wiremold type raceway. Can't be installed ina wet area like the shower, but I know you're not planning on that. With the humidity in the bathroom, you might run into rusting issues in a few years, but it can always be sanded a bit and painted when needed.

I'd run Romex under the sink
This is fine as long as it's "not subject to damage". If it's up towards the top of the cabinet, shielded by the sink, you'll be fine. If it's further down where bottles of shampoo and whatever else you keep under your sink can hit it, it would be best to install Wiremold there as well to protect it.

Old 07-29-20, 06:50 AM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
electric toilet seat we brought back from Japan
I'd be interested in knowing what the electrical requirements are for this; voltage, etc. I assume it is cord/plug connected, what kind of plug does it have?

Old 07-29-20, 11:23 AM
T
Japan uses 100V, but I've had it hooked up (with an orange outdoor extension cord draped across the ceiling of our bathroom) for over a year now and it works fine. I researched others who have brought these back from Japan and nobody has had a problem with the voltage difference.

The plug is 2-prong (amazingly, Japan barely has any grounded outlets) and a grounding wire, which I have hooked up to the extension cord with a grounding adapter.

Old 07-29-20, 11:26 AM
T
thanks everyone for all the advice.