Camp Site Wiring

Old 07-27-20, 04:45 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Camp Site Wiring

I have a piece of river front property. I am having 200 amp service placed by the local cooperative. This is located in Lebanon, MO (Dallas County). I am planning to wire 3 125 amp RV service panels and enough for a small cabin in the future. These RV panels say they are 125 amp because they have a hook up for a 30A RV and a 50A RV with a 20A GFCI outlet extra. We may at times have two campers connected to one of these panels. The runs from the meter are expected to be <100'. I am inquiring about what size and type of wire I should run underground to each pedestal. I'd like to leave 100A for the cabin if possible. Will I be able to wire 3 of these panels and supply enough power to potentially 6 RV's (3-30A and 3-50A) at the same time?

Thank you in advance for all you advice,

Jamie

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-20, 06:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
With that panel, it is a code requirement (551.71) that if you have a 50 amp receptacle you are also required to have a 30 amp 125-volt receptacle available. This is not really a good option for two RV's because if you have two larger RV's they both need a 50 amp hookup you can not accommodate them. Also note, that the 125 amp rating is just the maximum it is rated for.

However, to answer your question, yes, you could connect 6 RV's to 3 of these panels. I would recommend feeding each of the with 100 amp feeders off of the 200 amp panel. (Yes, that is more than 200 amps) #3 copper or #1 aluminum should be fine.

Old 07-27-20, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,044 Votes on 968 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Good info from Tolyn.

Based on 100' runs to each sub panel and based on possibly four A/C's running at the same time...... you may want to push that slightly larger.

Old 07-28-20, 08:47 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Tolyn. There are currently three of us that have 30A campers. If we upgrade to 50A campers over time and a friend(s) visit, there will be a 30A available. This isn't going to be a campground for rent or anything so we can control who plugs in but I wanted to make sure ours will hook up and if others visit us and we have plugs available, then we had it wired correctly.
- 200A to 3-100A breakers (one for each pedestal) and a 100A breaker for the future cabin.
- #3 copper or #1 aluminum for each run if kept under 100'

Thank you so much for the advise.

Old 07-28-20, 02:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
It is good that this is not a business and is just for friends and family. Otherwise, I was going to suggest a service larger than 200 amps which might open an extra can of worms.

Old 07-29-20, 07:07 AM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
I have a piece of river front property.
Niangua River? I haven't been to Bennett Springs in many years, but loved it the one time I was there. Good luck with your project.