Gap in conduit to main power

Old 07-27-20, 08:48 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gap in conduit to main power

I noticed a gap in the conduit to the main power. Is this a concern that needs to be resolved?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-20, 02:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 83 Votes on 71 Posts
Yes, looks like the locknut came off exposing the conductors to the sharp edge of the box. It needs to be fixed. Did the ground settle in front of the meter?

Old 07-28-20, 04:47 AM
Received 66 Votes on 62 Posts
Hi, looks like you need to contact the Power Co. that definitely should be repaired, there should have been an expansion joint installed there to prevent that from happening.
Geo

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 07-29-20, 06:46 AM
Received 83 Votes on 73 Posts
Rather than contacting the power company, I would recommend you contact a licensed electrical contractor to fix this by installing an expansion joint. The contractor will contact and coordinate with the power company, that's why you hire a contractor.

Old 07-29-20, 09:33 AM
S
There's doesn't appear to be any significant settlement to justify the gap. I can contact an electrician but was unclear who's responsibility this lies with.

Old 07-29-20, 09:44 AM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Unless its a very new home, I suspect the repair is on your dime. The power company would have just run its lines through the existing conduit installed by the electrician who apparently failed to attach a lock nut. If you know who the electrician was you can ask if they will come back to make the repair as a goodwill jesture. As was stated, the sharp edge of the box may be in contact with the high voltage lines and the power company will have to come out to remove its lock to allow work in the meter base.

There just seems to be too much risk for a homeowner to attempt a repair.

Old 07-29-20, 03:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 178 Posts
Based that SE cable is coming out of the right KO this would fall onto the power company's responsibility unless there is another meter or disconnect someplace on the property. I would be surprised that a locknut/bushing would back its way all the way off the connector and suspect that somebody "forgot" to install it properly. (Note: typically when we install a service we do not install the pipe for the PoCo guys but do leave them the pipe, locknut, and bushing and knock out the hole for them.)

I would recommend contacting the PoCo for the repair. They will have to cut the seal on the meter socket and replace it anyway.

Old 07-30-20, 09:44 AM
(Note: typically when we install a service we do not install the pipe for the PoCo guys but do leave them the pipe, locknut, and bushing and knock out the hole for them.)
It might be that way in Minnesota, I couldn't say, but areas I am familiar with this conduit is installed by the electrical contractor whether it's just a conduit stub for direct burial cable or a full length of conduit to the pole. In the OP's case, we don't know whether this is just a conduit stub or a conduit all the way to the pole.

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 07-31-20, 09:15 AM
L
Hard to see why the power company has not taken notice of this either on monthly meter readings or when the smart meter was installed.
You might want to approach them on a liability avoidance basis if they will not just send a serviceman out to do the job.
If this conduit has a 90 degree bend its hard to see how it could have sunk without any sinking of the surrounding ground. It may just be a short piece that will slide back up the conductors.

Old 07-31-20, 02:53 PM
T
As said earlier,pcboss, ,it looks like locknut came off inside an it slid down --since the threads are showing
Open it an see. .If it's on their side send them the pics .If its on yours turn ALL power off ,confirm,an put locknut back on or if it needs more done get an electritian..

Old 07-31-20, 04:51 PM
L
That would require breaking the power company seal and to keep things straight (not be accused of stealing electricity), the homeowner would need to have the company involved at some level. This is a classic example of "no user servieable parts."

Old 08-01-20, 01:16 PM
That would require breaking the power company seal
No, breaking the power company lock in this case and you never want to do that.

Old 08-01-20, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 178 Posts
Yes, the only way to fix this is to cut the seal. Call the power company.

Old 08-01-20, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,029 Votes on 955 Posts
We knew most of the linemen for our local poco. Most electricians have a working relationship with the poco. That seal could be cut by a licensed electrician but then he needs to take responsibility as now that has become an emergency repair.

I forgot this was my neighbor.
He'll probably have Public Service and they require a special tool for their meter locks.

Old 08-04-20, 08:49 PM
S
Orange Rockland came today during the Tropical Storm to put a temp fix and will be back to clean it up in a few days. I felt bad they came out with 60MPH winds and rain but I did tell the operator it wasn't necessary today. I had to push a bit but for $500-600 month for electricity, they can fix it for me as a courtesy