New Garage Panel - Inspection

Old 08-01-20, 02:28 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
New Garage Panel - Inspection

I'm gonna have an electrician install a panel in my garage, he'll have to pull the meter.

When this is inspected will it be just the new panel or after that in the garage? They ran the 12-2 over top of the trusses hanging in free air which I know isn't allowed along with a few other things going to the pole barn.

No problem for me putting 1x4 runners later, just curious about now to get me started.

Here is my cluster right now....

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/l...-reversed.html

Thanks very much, winter is a comin'

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-20, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 175 Votes on 157 Posts
When this is inspected will it be just the new panel or after that in the garage?
If I understand the question, it will depend on what your electrician pulled the permit for. If he is only doing panel then likely the permit is just for the panel and that is all that will be inspected. Any other work done other than the panel will require a separate permit.

They ran the 12-2 over top of the trusses hanging in free air which I know isn't allowed along with a few other things going to the pole barn.
This technically would be OK if the trusses are closer than 4 1/2' apart, but will make for a sloppy job IMO. When I wire pole buildings I follow the framing as much as possible, even if it uses extra cable.

Baldwin voted this post useful.
Old 08-03-20, 05:51 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If he is only doing panel then likely the permit is just for the panel and that is all that will be inspected.
Thanks, sounds good to me.

Old 08-04-20, 07:35 AM
Received 74 Votes on 65 Posts
If he is only doing panel then likely the permit is just for the panel and that is all that will be inspected.
I agree that this is how it is supposed to be, but on the other hand, I have also seen a few over aggressive inspectors who would reach out and hold up an approval on the permit because of other work he had seen that was unacceptable to him. More than once have I had to go over an inspector's head to get an approval. I don't like doing this because of future dealings with the same inspector, but sometimes it just has to be done. Inspectors like this quickly make a reputation for themselves within the industry.