Gfci And other outlet issues

Old 08-14-20, 11:49 AM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gfci And other outlet issues

Hello,

So, both of my outdoor outlets and both downstairs bathroom gfcis do not work. I've reset both gfci and also every other one in my home. No breaker was tripped. I am getting zero voltage to the above outlets but the one nearest to the breaker box.

From my understanding, I need two hot wires going to the gfci.... But only one of 4 is hot. What do I do now?

Old 08-14-20, 12:30 PM
P
Received 125 Votes on 99 Posts
There is only one hot wire (usually black). Typical GFCI outlet protecting down stream outlets will have two line side connections, one hot and one neutral. The load side going out will be the one hot and one neutral. If the outlet is functioning there should be voltage between the hot and neutral on the load side. There should be voltage between the hot and neutral on the line side regardless if the GFCI outlet is functioning or not.

Old 08-15-20, 12:50 PM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
You need a good hot wire and good neutral to a GFCI receptacle for it to reset. If you have no voltage to the GFCI device you have a problem, but it isn't a problem with the GFCI device. How are you measuring voltage?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: