Outdoor Lights with a Panic Switch

Old 08-14-20, 03:16 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor Lights with a Panic Switch

Hi, hopefully there is a way to do this. I want to install three outdoor lights on the house that would be individually controlled by their own separate on/off switches. I then want an additional switch in the master bedroom that can turn all three lights on at one time. Is there a way to do this? And if so, where can I find a wiring diagram that will also show what types of switches are needed?
Thanks!

Old 08-14-20, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I've done that in my house with low voltage switching. It can also be done with 120v wiring.
Could also be done with smart switches.

120v method....
In the diagram..... you have three lights and three 3way switches. You'll run a three wire cable between each box. When the switch is down..... it connects the light to the red wire which is the panic line and would normally be dead so the light would be off. Turning the switch on connects the light to the always live black line. You can put a single pole panic switch anywhere between the red and black of the three wire to turn all lights on.

Ground wires not shown but must be connected.

2john02458 voted this post useful.

Last edited by PJmax; 08-14-20 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added diagram and description
Old 08-14-20, 05:16 PM
S
I'm looking to do it with 120V standard wiring and switches. Just not sure of how.

Old 08-14-20, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Added more to my original post.

Old 08-15-20, 07:32 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Hi, are all 3 switches in the same location and you want 1 master switch at the same location? The master switch would be live all the time from the same source, the load side of that switch would be paralleled with the load side of the other 3 switches, unfortunately I donít have the capability of drawing a Dia.
Geo 🇺🇸

Old 08-15-20, 05:31 PM
S
The three switches are in different areas of the house on the first floor. The additional panic switch is to be located in the upstairs Master Bedroom

Old 08-15-20, 05:35 PM
Group Moderator
the load side of that switch would be paralleled with the load side of the other 3 switches,
@ Geo..... if you have the load side of all the switches connected together..... turning any one switch will turn all the lights on.

The way I've drawn it is about the only way to do it with basic wiring.

Old 08-15-20, 05:38 PM
S
120v method....
In the diagram..... you have three lights and three 3way switches. You'll run a three wire cable between each box. When the switch is down..... it connects the light to the red wire which is the panic line and would normally be dead so the light would be off. Turning the switch on connects the light to the always live black line. You can put a single pole panic switch anywhere between the red and black of the three wire to turn all lights on.
Thanks!.. Just want to make sure. If for example one of the three lights is on and I throw the panic switch, will the other two also turn on without any problems?

Old 08-15-20, 05:41 PM
Group Moderator
Yes..... because the light is either connected to always live or panic on.

Old 08-15-20, 05:48 PM
S
Yes..... because the light is either connected to always live or panic on.
Thanks much. Seems simple enough. I'll post how it turns out.
Carl

Old 08-16-20, 05:23 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Hi, disregard my post on the for that wiring setup, we have used similar setup but with only 1 switch and a relay for emergency lighting.
Sorry for any confusion.
Geo🇺🇸

Old 08-16-20, 08:06 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 139 Posts
Love Pete's idea for using standard wiring.

If you're willing to get a bit more high-tech, most of the internet controlled or home automation switches can be wired like standard single-pole switches and then controlled by another stand-alone switch.
Benefit is you can have Alexa turn them on for you too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: