Generator hook up

Old 08-19-20, 04:29 PM
J
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
Generator hook up

I live on the gulf coast (hurricane alley) and would like to make some preparations for a power outage when one occurs.

My sub panel contains all of my 120v circuits, some pretty essential, some not so much. I have central heat/air and a clothes dryer that run off of 240 volts. They will be idled. I would like to run a small window AC in the bedroom so sleep will be possible. My lights (mostly leds), satellite receiver, TVs, etc will not pull much load.

My 125 amp Siemens sub-panel is equipped for and has a knockout for a main disconnect. I plan to kill the power to the panel and add one. This is very simple and easy to do. Since I have some extra circuits in the panel I plan to add a two pole/30 amp breaker to the top where my generator will back feed into the panel and buy (or possibly make) a manual interlock that will make it impossible to turn on the main and the 30 amp generator breaker at the same time. Again pretty easy and simple to do.

I will be using a 5500 running watt/240 volt generator (6800 watt surge) to feed the panel so I think Iím ok there. The generator be outside and will connect to a twist lock receptacle in my garage via 10/3 wg cable from the panel.

My generator is neutral bonded to ground. If I hook up my white wire from the generator to my neutral buss and the green wire to my ground buss (in the panel) will this cause a ground loop in the panel? I know that the ground and neutral are only supposed to be bonded in the first panel after the meter (the main panel). THANKS for the help

Old 08-19-20, 04:57 PM
P
Received 124 Votes on 98 Posts
Read this post...
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...generator.html

Jtboney voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: