Is this a fan rated electrical box ?

Old 08-19-20, 11:34 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this a fan rated electrical box ?

I had a ceiling light fixture in one of my bedroom, which i am planning to replace with a ceiling fan. The fan i had purchased is a 18 LB one. But i am not very sure if the electrical box, existing is rated for Ceiling fan.
Any inputs will be helpful. My home was built in 1999. Any help is highly appreciated.

Last edited by PJmax; 08-20-20 at 02:47 AM. Reason: labeled picture
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-20, 02:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,193 Votes on 1,104 Posts
That is a fan rated box. It's called a pancake box and it is 1/2" thick and attached directly to the bottom of the ceiling joist as shown by the brown lines. Make sure all the screws are tight into the joist.

Old 08-20-20, 05:26 AM
L
Received 85 Votes on 73 Posts
Although the box is fan rated, screws they used look like regular drywall screws. Replace them with something more heavy duty. Thicker screws.

Old 08-20-20, 10:08 AM
D
Hi PjMax thanks a lot for your help and guidance. I initially thought the same and I was trying to use a stud finder to see if there is a stud to which this box was attached. But apparantly, its not the case. I am unable to detect a stud when i pass the area box. Am i doing something wrong?

Old 08-20-20, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Take the screws out and carefully move the box.
It looks like it may be connected by conduit which doesn't allow for a lot of movement.
You can also take the lock nut off to move the box.

Old 08-20-20, 07:29 PM
L
Usually those boxes are mounted on 2x4 that is run across joists. You will not be able to find stud with stud finder since 2x4 is not installed against drywall.

Old 08-20-20, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
Since that's a pancake box..... the mounting support would have to be very close to the sheetrock.

Old 08-20-20, 07:57 PM
L
Totally forgot that was a pancake box. Looked somewhat deep.

In that case, it should be possible to detect joist with stud finder.

If you cannot find joist, there is a possibility someone used it like a remodel box. Just s short piece of wood screwed behind drywall and junction box mounted to it.
I have done that with regular pancake box when there is not enough room for remodel box (due to pipe or duct work behind.).

Old 08-20-20, 10:15 PM
D
unscrewed it

Hi all, thanks a lot for your input. You were all right. I unscrewed the 5 screws and also the bolt on the conduit entry. It is attached to a joist. As you see in the picture the wooden block is not the actual joist, but it is a rectangular(cuboid) piece of wood which is screwed into the actual joist/stud bhind it. I replaced the 5 exsiting old screws with better and longer ones, so they screw into the actual joist, for more safety.

That should do, correct?

Old 08-23-20, 09:23 PM
D
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Seeing all the holes in existing wooden block would remove it an go with conventional fan electric box with adjustable steel beam bolted to adjacent beams..

With ceiling fans a key issue is secure weight bearing. You do not want screws working out of that wood block.