One last generator question

Old 08-20-20, 11:34 AM
J
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
One last generator question

I had some questions about hooking up a 240v generator to use as backup power and thanks to some good advice and an excellent video by Mike Holt, I was able to understand what I need to do with that.

Now I have a question about portable generators used for powering tools and other things out in the field. I have two Champion 3400 watt - 120 volt generators. I've used them to power a small welder, an air compressor, fans, televisions and other stuff on camping trips. Never had a problem but mostly used them in dry and clean conditions. Now, after watching Mike's video I'm concerned about these generators having a floating neutral and the possible danger that might pose.

In the future when I'm using one of them outdoors should I bond the ground and neutral before I plug in a device? I know I can do that by plugging in a male plug that has the ground and neutral connected, making them essentially neutral bonded generators.

Again, thanks for the help and advice.

Old 08-20-20, 12:46 PM
P
Received 124 Votes on 98 Posts
Yes, the neutral should be bonded at the gen when the gen is used as a standalone portable. As you said the bonding can be accomplished by making up a bonding plug.
Also there should be a label on the gen clearly stating that the gen has a floating neutral.

Jtboney voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: