Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Need some help troubleshooting 2 GFCI Kitchen Outlets Reading 3v?

Old 08-24-20, 12:45 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

Have an issue that's puzzling me in my kitchen. Have 4 kitchen outlets on a circuit run from 1 standard single pole breaker. The way I think this circuit is setup is the line is split and you have one GFCI and one standard outlet after the split. So if you looked at it on paper, it'd be:

Standard Outlet[/b]GFCI Outlet=>Standard Outlet

Well, the outlets that are split to the right don't work. I figured since the ones on the left still worked fine, it must be a bad GFCI outlet, so I swapped the outlet and it still won't work. Tried to get a reading using my multimeter and the wires coming directly from the wall are only reading 3v? The outlets that are working on the same breaker circuit are reading 120v as normal?

My only guess is that something happened to the wire between where it split and where it comes into the first GFCI, but I don't know a ton about GFCI wiring. Is there anything else that could cause this issue??

Thanks for any tips!

Old 08-24-20, 05:51 AM
J
Received 299 Votes on 256 Posts
Cabling inside the wall does not go bad unless you pounded a nail into or have rodents eating it. You have a loose connection somewhere in a junction box. It could be in a box that has a working device.

jdlev voted this post useful.
Old 08-24-20, 12:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Are you sure you don't have two circuits there masquerading as one ?

Through the use of a multiwire branch circuit..... there are two circuits that share a common neutral. This is real popular in kitchen counter receptacles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: