Upgrading from 150 amp to 200 amp

Old 08-24-20, 08:59 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Upgrading from 150 amp to 200 amp

Location. Rhode island
i am going to hire a pro.
I wanted to just state those two facts.

I want to update my meter box and connection all the way to pole.
The wires from pole look ragged. And the meter box has seen better days.
I believe the power company will replace the wires from pole to weatherhead, if they deem necessary that is.
My concern is that i may be opening up a can of worms. What i mean is.
Right now i have a 150 amp meter box. And i would presume a 150 amp breaker box.
The electrician i spoke to stated that its best to upgrade to a 200 amp meter box due to it being same price. Breaker box too.
​​​​​​The meter box is 15 feet from breaker box currently.
Am i going to be able to use same SE wire thats currently running from meter box to breaker box ?
Is 15 feet of SE wire even allowed to be ran through a wall or ceiling ? (possibly SER)
thank you
Am i better off just keeping it 150 amp and only replacing outside equipment ?
Thank you

Last edited by Beginner0; 08-24-20 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-24-20, 09:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
I believe the power company will replace the wires from pole to weatherhead, if they deem necessary that is.
That is correct..... and they rarely deem replacement.

The meter box is 15 feet from breaker box currently.
That is touchy. The wiring between the meter and the panel needs to be as short as possible.
Many inspectors limit that to 6-8' maximum. You may need a service disconnect at the meter.

I'd like to see some pictures of what you have there...... How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 08-24-20, 09:45 PM
B
I read in a couple posts that if the meter box has a cutoff switch(service disconnect) , which mine does then it doesnt need SER cable ran from it to breaker box. I read this after writing my original post btw. Not sure if thats true. Also not sure what type of wire will be ran if SER is not needed.
Weatherhead issue , not attached. Also condition of power wires from pole (degradation)

Meter box is awful looking. Maybe its just the glass ? As you know but ill say it. The door under the meter is the 150 Amp cutoff switch(service disconnnect)

On meter box. This is what I am referring to as shutoff switch / service disconnect. Im probably wrong lol

Last edited by Beginner0; 08-24-20 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Adding photo
Old 08-24-20, 09:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
The unfused wiring in the building needs to be as short as practical. If it has overcurrent protection it can be as long as you want inside the house.

the wiring from the weather head down will need to be upgraded for 200 amps

Old 08-25-20, 06:01 AM
J
Received 295 Votes on 254 Posts
The wiring between the meter and the panel needs to be as short as possible.
Many inspectors limit that to 6-8' maximum.
Actually I think that is only the cabling INSIDE the house. I don't think there is a limit for the cable outside the house.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 08-25-20, 07:25 AM
B
Thank you for those replies.
Is the picture posted of the meter indicate that its a service shutoff ?

Old 08-25-20, 10:16 AM
B
Found this on the site. Very helpful to me.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...isconnect.html

Only two questions still remain, please.
Is my meter box a meter/ disconnect box ?
What exactly is "jacketed service cable " ?

Thank you

Old 08-25-20, 10:50 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 139 Posts
You do have a meter/disconnect, so no issue how far away your panel (subpanel) is.

The electrician will replace everything from the weatherhead down. Agreed with the electrician, might as well go to 200A for a few extra dollars for slightly larger wire.

He will either install "jacketed service cable", which is basically large-gauge wires in a jacket. (Sort of like NM/Romex, but rated for outdoor use as a service entry). He might also just install PVC conduit and pull single wires through it. No real difference either way for your type or installation.

As part of the panel upgrade, he'll also update the grounding/bonding, which will be to replace (or leave if in good condition) a ground wire to your (metal) water pipe where it enters the house. He'll also add a jumper over the water meter, a jumper between the hot/cold lines of your water heater, and possibly a bond to your gas line (depending on local codes). He should also install 2 new ground rods.

Old 08-25-20, 11:02 AM
B
Thank you so much.
love this site !

Just also worried about him/ they having to run and replace the new 200amp approved wire to panel through wall or ceiling.
I dont want to have to also turn this upgrade into a complete renovation lol. Sheetrock and such.

Old 08-25-20, 09:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
They will have to upgrade(replace) the wring between the meter/disconnect and the panel.

Old 08-26-20, 06:54 PM
B
Thank you Pj. I forgot about that inquiry.
You all helped me and im sure a lot of others in the coming future with this thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: