Could some of you generator gurus explain this?

Old 08-28-20, 07:23 AM
J
Received 5 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Could some of you generator gurus explain this?

After much research and watching Mike Holt's great videos I think I understand the application of floating neutral generators vs bonded neutral ones. Basically a floating neutral generator should be used when connecting to a house panel via a transfer switch or an interlock hook up. Bonded neutral generators should be used when connecting equipment, power tools, etc. in an outdoor environment. Got that.

My question is why are most generators equipped just the opposite. I have two small 110v generators that are perfect for running power tools and other things out in the field. They are both floating neutral generators. I have a large 240v generator that is much more suited for wiring up to my house panel (which I just did). It is a bonded neutral generator. From what research I've done most (if not all) portable generators are equipped that way. The big ones are bonded neutral and the small ones are floating neutral. I know both can be converted to the other configuration but wouldn't it make more sense to equip them from the factory for the most likely thing they would be used for? Can anyone "splain" that to me?

Old 08-28-20, 07:43 AM
P
Received 273 Upvotes on 230 Posts
Some things in life just can't be explained.

Jtboney voted this post useful.
Old 08-28-20, 02:20 PM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 69 Posts
I don’t know why either, but.
There is an argument that a non-bonded system has better shock protection than one that is ground/earth referenced. If you come in contact with a hot connector and you are grounded, then that missing neutral to earth link may vastly reduce the shock current.
The story gets more complex with “large installs” and GFCI systems however.

Old 08-31-20, 08:29 AM
J
Just for kicks I contacted Generac with this question. This is their reply:

Thank you for reaching out to Generac in regards to your inquiry. To answer your question, our portable generators are not manufactured or meant to be used for home applications so they are not configured to be hooked up that way. Can a portable unit be hooked up to someones home? Absolutely. We just do not recommend it because we manufacture units specifically designed and configured to be connected directly to your home via our home standby units.

In other words Generac wants you to buy one of their standby generators, rather than use a portable.

cartman voted this post useful.
Old 08-31-20, 03:32 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
They are called "Portable Generators" and they are mainly used for this purpose. There are more people using them as a stand alone portable generator compared to people using it as a backup generator for house. This will be the main reason why neutral and ground are bonded. If they were not, it will greatly reduce safety since the breaker will not trip on fault to ground.
If the generator has GFCI receptacles, it will still trip if fault to ground occurs, but 240V outlet are not GFCI protected in most generators.

I think it would been real nice if generator companies provide a simple means of breaking the bond using a switch or screw.

Old 09-07-20, 06:59 AM
J
"They are called "Portable Generators" and they are mainly used for this purpose. There are more people using them as a stand alone portable generator compared to people using it as a backup generator for house."

That's true for most parts of the country. However, down here on the gulf coast, most of them I see are "just in case of a hurricane" generators. I've owned mine since Katrina so it's 15+ years old and I've only used it as a portable one time. It lives out in my shed and I get it out about once a year, crank it and put a load on it. When it runs out of gas I put it back to bed. Hope I never need it again for an extended power outage but better safe than sorry.

I like the idea of a switch that would change it from bonded neutral to floating neutral but will probably never see that. Too much liability for the manufacturers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: