installing 220 volt outlet

Old 06-14-01, 08:25 AM
no_sparks
Visiting Guest
hi...i just discovered this forum two days ago and it is great !

I am pretty confident on residential wiring "stuff". A friend has asked me to help him install a 220 volt outlet for a window AC. I've not actually seen his set-up, but in discussions, etc. it seems like the following should be done:
1) install a 220 20 Amp breaker - he says his box has extra space, AC rated at 8 amps (turn off main first, of course)

2)install 220 volt outlet

3)run 12/3 wire tieing red to one spot on breaker, black to the other, white to neutral bus, ground to ground bus

4)connect wires to receptacle (white, red, black) to proper terminals
5)Plug AC in, turn on power,

this seems pretty straightforward...am I missing anything

thanks for your input

Old 06-14-01, 10:17 AM
resqcapt19
Visiting Guest
Look at the plug on the AC. Does it have 3 or 4 prongs? If it has only 3 then you can run 12-2. Black on one side of breaker, white (re-identified with black tape) on other side of breaker and bare on the ground bus.
Don(resqcapt19)

Old 06-14-01, 10:27 AM
Visiting Guest
You may want to check if the A/C specifies a certain receptacle, or you can look at the plug on the a/c and purchase the correct receptacle. Also make sure your using a 2pole breaker, one handle shuts off both lines. Otherwise it sounds like you have a good idea of what your doing. Just be carefull, and stay cool.

Old 06-14-01, 01:27 PM
Visiting Guest
installing 22 volt outlet

Originally posted by resqcapt19
Look at the plug on the AC. Does it have 3 or 4 prongs? If it has only 3 then you can run 12-2. Black on one side of breaker, white (re-identified with black tape) on other side of breaker and bare on the ground bus.
Don(resqcapt19)
I think it would be better to run 12/3 anyway. A future A/C unit might require it even if the present one does not. The extra conductor does not add much to the price of the cable.

Old 06-14-01, 01:35 PM
resqcapt19
Visiting Guest
Bill,
Have you ever seen a single phase 220 volt air conditioner that had a 4 wire cord? I haven't.
Don(resqcapt19)

Old 06-15-01, 05:41 AM
no_sparks
Visiting Guest
i installed the 220 breaker and ended up running 12/2 wire...things went great! my friend was very impressed with my "electrical skills" ....no need to tell him i got some extra help here...thanks for all the input

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: