Burned halogen bulb tripped 2 breakers?

Old 09-01-20, 03:50 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burned halogen bulb tripped 2 breakers?

Hello. I have an question. Today first time something tripped two breakers in my house. I mean i was sitting on pc Windows 10 desktop ,like always and i hear BUM from fuse box. And power go down. Pc turned off.
I think there was not circuit overload,because all devices was off,like tv,washer etc. Only pc was on.
Then.......i go to bathroom and saw that one of 3 halogen bulbs no lightning. So it get burned. So that was propably that halogen bulb? Or pc? But now its fine and working again and no issues.

When i go to fuse box in my house. 2 small circuit breakers went down.
(not that main on the left RCD, RCD not tripped ).

1 breaker for lightning in my house went down. 2 breaker for power in wall sockets went down.

My question is. Why that burned halogen bulb tripped 2 breakers?

Old 09-01-20, 05:53 AM
B
Received 101 Votes on 88 Posts
In my opinion, you would first need to verify there is no electrical continuity between the 2 hot wires (1 from each tripped breaker) and the 2 neutral wires (1 from each tripped breaker). The breakers that tripped would be open and their neutrals disconnected from the neutral bar for the test.

Old 09-01-20, 06:02 AM
S
Why i lose a power circuit too when a bulb blowed on a lighting circuit?

Old 09-01-20, 06:41 AM
T
Received 47 Votes on 46 Posts
Are the two tripped breakers near each other?

Old 09-01-20, 06:50 AM
S
yes two small tripped breakers near each other. One for lights in house,second for power in wall sockets.

RCD ( that biggest on left ) not tripped.

Old 09-01-20, 10:26 AM
T
Rather a reach, but when an incandescent bulb "blows", it draws very high currents. These then, cause a very high magnetic field. The adjacent breaker may have had a nuisance trip due to local high mag field. It shouldn't have, but its perhaps possible.

I do some testing on electronic devices with pulsed mag fields, up to 1000A/m. I haven't seen my equipment do anything strange, but sometimes things happen.

Old 09-01-20, 04:56 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 755 Votes on 694 Posts
Telecom guy, I was thinking on a similar line. Incandescent light bulbs have a shunt built into the bulb because of the extreme current flow when the filament burns out. I looked up how a halogen bulb is made and didn't see a shunt or similar device in the bulbs so I assume it's not an issue. Certainly not with the low voltage ones.

Old 09-02-20, 06:43 AM
B
To anyone. Do all MCBs sold in the USA for home panels have to contain a magnetic trip mechanism by law? Are there markings on the MCB that allows the home owner to know the it is a magnetic trip type?

Old 09-02-20, 10:42 AM
T
I don't think the magnetic feature is law, but without it, a very quick trip is difficult to perform. I am aware of only hydraulic/magnetic and thermal/magnetic in home load centers. There are UL standards that cover type testing these, but I don't have free access to those to review.

Old 09-02-20, 12:15 PM
S
Just why power in wallsockets go out and lights at the same time? its as expected?

Old 09-02-20, 02:47 PM
B
Lights and outlets lose power at the same time if they are powered by the same breaker. Not usual if they are on different breakers. Can you provide the following info on the 2 breakers that tripped? Manufacturer/part number/voltage rating/current rating/trip curve letter/UL sticker wording/etc.

Old 09-03-20, 06:51 AM
S
I have an question. Its on my mind really,i am worried. So i never had an problem with pc ,computer ,its very expensive.
Maybe my pc tripped breaker,not that bulb? But like i said it happened once and pc is running fine now,like before.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: