New Electric Service Plan Rv Spaces X 4

Old 09-02-20, 07:57 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Electric Service Plan Rv Spaces X 4

thanks in advance. Gathering advice for electric service.

I am putting in 4 spaces with 70 amp rv service panels (50a plug and 20gfci). The 4 spaces will run the front of a property that is 300 feet wide.

Primary Service will be 400 amp right at the base of the power pole. This will feed a 5 meter panel 20 feet away. (4 rv spaces and site power for lights gates etc).

Or i can meter at the sites if this would save wiring and conduit.

After the secondary panel is where i need help with budgeting the wire runs and conduit.

What is the best practice here.
A. Individual wire runs to each space? 50ft, 100ft, 170ft, 250ft.

B. Or one long trunk line with junction boxes teed to each space?

Also need help on the best wire to use for each space vs conduit etc.

Let me know what other data is needed.

Thanks so much!

Old 09-02-20, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
I would think having the meters grouped would be the better option. Also, the power company may require it if these are not sub-meters. (Meters after the main power company meter)

It will likely be easier to run separate PVC runs to each RV hookup using the same trench. You will use more PVC conduit but that is cheap compared to adding junction boxes and the added labor.

As a note: You do not need to run a 70 amp circuit to the RV hookups. You don't add up the breakers. Since it will serve only one site a 120/240 volt 50 amps feed is likely all that is needed. I should also mention that Code requires any RV site with a 50 amp hookup shall also be equipped with a 30 amp 125-volt hookup. (551.71)

You will need something like this: https://www.amazon.com/TL137US-Tempo...32207842&psc=1

Again, you still only need to feed it with 120/240 volts 50 amps if you are only allowing one RV to hook up.

Old 09-02-20, 09:42 PM
L
What wire would you recommend? I was thinking grouped meters would be nicer. Also meters will be sub meters.

Old 09-03-20, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
I would use THHN/THWN copper. It is rated to be installed in wet locations which PVC installed outside/underground is.

The size of the wire will depend on the distance to reduce voltage drop. Here is a good calculator: https://www.calculator.net/voltage-d...es=40&x=70&y=0 The runs to the RV panels are feeders so you want to keep the voltage drop under 3%. Using #4 copper at 300' at 50 amps is just a squeak over 3%. I think that is acceptable as it will never carry a full 50 amps. You can calculate the others with their distance. The smallest you can go with 50 amp breaker is #8 copper.

Old 09-05-20, 08:47 AM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
Also meters will be sub meters.
Why? ...................................

Old 09-05-20, 08:57 AM
Group Moderator
Likely to charge each individual RV site for the power usage.

Old 09-07-20, 11:26 AM
L
correct. RV users can abuse power (ac running windows open) if left to their own devices.

What are your thoughts all on direct burial wire?

Ive never done conduit...it would end up being 500 feet give or take of it. Seems like a lot to get done a couple feet down in a trench. Direct burial sounds amazing of course comparatively.

Old 09-07-20, 11:33 AM
L
This is my parts list currently. Want to verify fit before pushing the buy button.

Main panel:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Siemens-...4511/300870437

Rv panels:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-RV-Pa...32PS/300325107

Wire for all:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...7401/202316602

I assume this wire would be overkill for the short runs but would it work for the long run? Also is it compatible size wise with these panels or is it too thick of wire (how do I tell...)

Thanks again for all the help!!!!

Old 09-07-20, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Conduit sounds difficult but it's actually not. I was never fond of direct burial because if there is a fault.... it must be dug back up. With conduit.... new wire can always be repulled.

You'll be using 1" or 1-1/4" PVC conduit.

You need to use a single meter box for the Poco and a four meter bank for sub metering.
With the one you linked to.... all five meters are Poco meters (common feed).

You are setting subpanels at each site. They require four wires. Two hots, a neutral and a ground.
You'd still need conduit at each location to sleeve the wire up to the panel.

Old 09-07-20, 11:48 AM
L
so this is the incorrect wire need 2 2 2 2 ? The sites will not be 220. not sure if that is applicable.

With the panel I was thinking the poco single would be fed into this meter (4 sites and an additional for site auxiliary usage such as lighting gates etc that would be my costs incurred.)
Is that thinking wrong?

Old 09-07-20, 12:26 PM
L
I have lots of time at work for research and I see you are correct (thanks!) and I need 4 wires. #4 copper for the 2 hots. The basic research I have done seems to lead me to believe I can go smaller on the neutral and ground. True?

If so how much smaller? The copper #4 is spendy!

Old 09-07-20, 02:58 PM
Group Moderator
The sites will be 240. The 50 RV hookup is 120/240v 50 amps.

I would not recommend going smaller on the neutral. The ground, however, is only required to be sized similarly to the wire size. So the close site will only require #8 copper and a #10 for the ground. The sites that you upsize for voltage drop will require the ground to be upsized as well. So for your site that is 300' away, you would be required to use a #6 for the ground.

You can use XHHW aluminum wire in conduit you typically just go one size larger than copper (#2 aluminum) but that will also require a larger conduit. (1 1/2" or 2")

You can use direct burial aluminum but if anything happens to the wire it will disintegrate in the ground. All of the conduits or direct burial wires can be laid in the same trench.

Burying conduit is pretty straight forward, especially in your installation. Each 10' piece has a bell coupling on them. All you do is goop it with PVC cement and stick it together. You would just dig a trench straight across the property and pit a small kick to each pedestal, 90 up on each end and you good to go. Just make sure to put a string on the long runs so you can pull in a rope to pull in the wire.

Old 09-08-20, 03:02 PM
L
thanks for the information!

getting close to hitting the buy button on this stuff. Other than size vs price assuming individual wires is there any value to copper vs alum?

Do I run the conduit first or do you glue em together with the wire inside?

Or after gluing and running conduit is that when you pull all wires through?

Thanks for the help again!

Old 09-08-20, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
Other than size vs price assuming individual wires is there any value to copper vs alum?
Aluminum corrodes fairly easy so you need to properly terminate it using anti-oxidation paste. Aluminum tends to expand and contract with heat so it is very important to make good tight connections. Install aluminum if you want it to last 20 years or copper if you want it to last 50 years.

Do I run the conduit first or do you glue em together with the wire inside? Or after gluing and running conduit is that when you pull all wires through?
The conduit is required to be properly and completely installed before the wire is installed in it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: