Electric Redo in Kitchen

Old 09-06-20, 07:50 PM
G
Gen
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Electric Redo in Kitchen

At one property we have a pending kitchen redo on scope. --Just cabinets and counter. It seems like all the contractors, and I see this a lot, want to say that the electric needs to be updated also. Usually this means they want to throw in a new panel.

It's a small, about 7 x 12 kitchen. Circuits included are: 1 or 2 for counter on GFI outlets, frig circuit, lights, and one for disposal/DW. No stove--existing is gas. No microwave.

I don't think we're terribly under served, though may not be precisely to current code. My question is are the bidders really just trying to inflate the total cost via additional electrical work?

Old 09-06-20, 08:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,351 Votes on 1,249 Posts
What determines the need for a new panel is how many available circuits are left in said panel.
You're talking about adding 4-5 new 120v circuits although the current kitchen may have some of those circuits already in place.

Does your current panel have any extra spaces left for more circuits ?

Old 09-07-20, 05:36 AM
A
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts
As PJMax said you really are not looking at too many circuits that will be required for a kitchen that size and you may already have some circuits that can count as "needed" circuits (Small Appliance Branch Circuits - SABC).

As to why they are suggesting a new panel is unknown to us at this time. It could be for legitimate reasons that we are not aware of yet. Maybe it is totally outdated or in very bad condition.

Is there any way you can give us a clear picture of your breaker panel? Let us know what major appliances you have in the home or plan on installing? What type of heat does the home have?

But, a small standard kitchen that is existing should not require too many new circuits.

Other determining factors could be what you local authority (inspector) is requiring in the reno of the kitchen.

Old 09-07-20, 07:08 AM
G
Gen
OK so guys... I'm not referring to adding any new circuits. My gut thought is that the panel is fine as is and not related to a counter and cabinet installation, because existing circuits as I've listed them, I believe, are enough under the circumstances.

My question still is whether the cabinet and counter installer is just wanting to bump the price higher with a different point of view that is not really valid?

Old 09-07-20, 10:18 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 161 Votes on 143 Posts
Typically, when you are renovating a space, you are required to bring it up to current code. If you were tearing out the sheetrock and replacing, I think in most locales, that would be considered a renovation and you'd be required to bring the electrical up to code (2 GFI (maybe AFCI) countertop receptacles with 2' spacing, separate circuit for DW/Disposal, etc. It sounds like you're almost there - maybe requiring an extra receptacle or two and maybe an extra countertop (small appliance) circuit. Regardless, one extra circuit typically wouldn't require a new panel.

Also, you're in some gray area because it sounds like you're only replacing the cabinets and countertops. So it would depend on your locale if they consider that a renovation requiring bringing the existing electrical up to code.

Regardless of your situation, I probably wouldn't have the countertop installer or cabinet maker installing receptacles or new circuits. If you do need new, I would definitely bring in an electrician (or DIY it!)

Old 09-08-20, 08:59 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Hi, they are taking a permit for replacing cabinets and countertops? By every contractor do you electrical contractor?
Geo

Old 09-08-20, 09:14 AM
G
Gen
No permit is needed to replace counter and cabs as far as I know. I'm not certain what else you are asking?

Old 09-08-20, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
If they are just replacing cabinets and counter-top I see no reason to do any electrical unless they are reconfiguring the kitchen. Typically anything that was installed in the past 50 years will have the required 2 small appliance circuits. Sounds to me like you already have that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: