Fixing a "Custom" Extension Cord

Old 09-09-20, 11:56 PM
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
Fixing a "Custom" Extension Cord

I found a nice 14AWG/3C in the trash area of the apartment complex where I live at.
One end is a molded NEMA 5-15P the other is a replacement style Pass & Seymour NEMA 5-15R. I was smart and tested the cord with my multi-meter and the hot & neutral had continuity as the white was loose and touching the brass screw, when I opened up the female end the white (very discolored almost olive green in color). My question is should I cut the end off and re-strip it to hopefully find wire that is actually white? Also what does all of the printed writing on the cord mean? I get lost after 14AWG/3C and the 300V the rest is unknown to me.

Cord wires showing discolored white wire

Printed writing on same cord

Also another electrical question not related to the above. I bought a ground stake flood light at GoodWill the unit is all metal it has two standard 1/2" knockouts one for the light and the other for the pole. The original was cracked and missing the gasket. So I got another socket my questions are the box has threaded holes should I keep the lock-nut on the socket or remove it? Is there a knockout "splitter" I want to use the metal ground stake on the bottom knockout and the top one I want to have the socket and a photocell. I have seen ones for plumbing (Those obviously
can't be used for this) but never electric fittings (maybe I am not looking hard enough)

Old 09-10-20, 05:24 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Hi, chop the ends back and reterminate , post a pic of this box, you canít use any plumbing fittings.
Geo

Old 09-10-20, 06:50 AM
Yes I know plumbing fitting are not to be used on electrical devices. The old holder had no ground screw (there was threaded hole for one but no screw) the lock-nut was left in place.

I will re-strip that cord and see if I can get clean colored wires and clean copper.

New flood light lamp holder

Box without cover

Bottom of box

Top of box

Old 09-10-20, 09:31 AM
Received 71 Votes on 61 Posts
Googling will tell you the meaning of the markings:

P-139-49-MSHA is the standard cable type. MSHA refers to Mine Safety and Health Administration.

MSHA's Approval and Certification Center (A&CC) approves and certifies certain mining products for use in underground coal and gassy underground metal and nonmetal mines. ... The MSHA approval issued by the Center is internationally recognized.

SJOOW stands for S = Service Cord (600 Volts) J = Junior Service Cord (300 Volts) OO = Oil Resistant both inside insulation and outside jacket. W = CSA designation for weather/water resistance. SJOOWcable is a thermoset cable, it entails a very heavy-duty rubber jacket around the copper wires inside.

90C is the temperature rating.

(UL) is certification by Underwriters Laboratory.

The double locknuts are to prevent the light socket from being twisted out of position after it has been aimed.

Use a condulet (conduit body) fitting with a T or TB shape to add a mounting point for the photocell.

T conduit body fitting has third outlet on the side. TB has it on the back.

Old 09-10-20, 12:08 PM
So I apparently found a great piece of cord that is awesome! I hope I can salvage it getting clean copper and insulation

I will look into a conduit body but I did find photo cells that mount with a hole that I can drill in the front cover of the metal box.

Old 09-10-20, 01:55 PM
Hi, what kind of cover did you get for that box, any model # on that box? no need to use the locknuts on the socket.
Did this box come with a spike?
Geo

Old 09-10-20, 03:24 PM
The cover is a standard metal cover with two screws and what looks like a cork type backing, the only numbers on the box don't match anything (Google says "No Results Found") I got a 4.5' Iron Pipe but I left it in Vermont at my friends house because it would not fit in my bags and I did not want to carry it on the bus for obvious reasons a 4.5' rusty black iron pipe would have probably have raised many questions and/ or suspicions.

Old 09-11-20, 06:25 AM
Hi, I doubt a standard plate will fit that box, I could be wrong, post a pic of the cover.
Geo

Old 09-11-20, 12:31 PM
Oh,
I only meant "standard" as it is metal I too doubt I can find another cover for it so I want to avoid drilling it for a photocell if possible.

Cover Back

Cover front positioned over box

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: