Conduit from panel to crawl space

Old 09-14-20, 04:18 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Conduit from panel to crawl space

Hi! Here's my situation.... Wanting to add new circuits.
--I will run romex 12/2 in the crawl space.
--BUT my panel is in a utility room on a wall that is caddy corner to where the crawl space is.
--So I need to run a conduit from the panel around the corner to where I can drill through into the crawl space.
--A conduit mounted inside a wall will look a little funny but I don't care because it's a utility/laundry room.
QUESTION:
What kind of conduit and do I need to strip off the yellow jacket of the romex wire(s) or can I put it directly in the conduit?
I want to run something big enough for new circuits in the future too. So I'm thinking Sch 40 PVC probably 1.5" but would be interested in recommendations. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-20, 04:34 PM
H
Okay from scanning the internet a bit it appears I should not put romex 12/2 with the yellow jacket in conduit. So now the question is, 1) okay just to strip the yellow jacket off and run the black/white/ground inside the conduit like that?
2) or do I need to use different wire and have a junction box?
3) interested in conduit size recommendations for say 8 new circuits (will probably only use 5 or 6 but want to oversize a bit).

Old 09-14-20, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 178 Posts
Cable may be installed in conduit as long as:

1) The cable jacket is left on the cable
2) The conduit is large enough for the cable.

In most cases, it is easier to install individual wires in conduit but the conduit must be a complete assembly from box to box or pull point to pull point. The wire to use is THHN. You can do a combination between THHN and Romex if you want to run conduit from the panel to a junction box in the crawlspace. Then in the crawlspace, you can change over to Romex.

If the conduit will be in the wall why can you just run cable the entire way? Cable installed in a wall is considered protected.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 09-14-20, 06:46 PM
P
Received 93 Votes on 73 Posts
Since you are using the conduit as a chase there is no problem running Romex through it. Use PCV conduit and do not remove the outer jacket of the Romex as stated.

Old 09-15-20, 08:36 AM
H
Yes, using the conduit as a chase.

Old 09-15-20, 10:10 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 95 Posts
I agree with the others, using a 1.25 or 1.5" PVC conduit as a chase is a good solution. BUT, you're limited to 9 "current carrying conductors" in the conduit without having to oversize the wires for derating. This basically means if you want to run 6 circuits (12 current carrying conductors as each circuit has a Hot and neutral, each carrying current), you'll want to run two separate conduits and run 4 in one and 2 in the other. (or similar) Grounds aren't counted since they don't typically carry current.

For your circuits planned, I'd use two 1.5" conduits and add a pull string to help pull future cables.

Old 09-15-20, 11:35 AM
P
Received 93 Votes on 73 Posts
Where in the NEC are you getting the 9 conductor fill limit for conduit when used as an open ended chase? I'm only aware of fill limits for complete conduit systems.
Edit: It just dawned to me 310.15(b)(3). So never mind.

Zorfdt voted this post useful.

Last edited by pattenp; 09-15-20 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-15-20, 06:50 PM
H
All great info. Love this forum.