How many amps is my electrical service?

Old 09-14-20, 06:55 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How many amps is my electrical service?

My panel says it is 150 amps max. The top 2 smaller pullouts each have 2 30 amp barrel fuses and the two bigger ones below each have 2 60 amp barrel fuses. Is that enough information to determine what amperage my service is? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-20, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,021 Votes on 947 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately the size of the fuses used doesn't necessarily indicate service size.
That's called a split bus panel.

The top three fuse sets are connected to loads. Most likely water heater, dryer and range. The top 60A fused pullout may be for the range. That wire looks to small for 60A fuses.

The bottom 60A fused pullout runs all the fuses below it.

More than likely you have a 100A service based on the wire size I can see.
Is there a disconnect outside near the meter ? That would be the true service size.

Old 09-15-20, 04:49 AM
A
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
The service amperage the utility company says you have.
The main breaker (or fuse) size for a main panel not a split bus panels.
The sum of the breaker ratings for the top half breakers for a split bus main panel.
The amperes rating for the service conductors or cable
The amperage rating for the main panel in terms of its components excluding breakers..

Take the smallest of all of the above and use that as your service amperes or size, for load calculation purposes.

Old 09-15-20, 08:19 AM
B
Today 03:24 AM Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately the s

The only thing left is the meter. Everything else is here at the panel.

Old 09-15-20, 08:36 AM
Received 65 Votes on 61 Posts
Hi, it would appear to be 100Amps , you might try calling the POC and see if they would identify for you, are you having problems? Post a pic of the meter.
Geo

Old 09-15-20, 09:00 AM
B
Received 81 Votes on 72 Posts
Your home service is the smaller of 150 amp (based on your service panel) or the amp rating for the smallest wire used in the connections from the poco pole to your service panel. Tke poco should be able to tell you the wire size from the pole to the meter. You or an electrician will need to determine wire size from meter to service panel.

Old 09-15-20, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
This type of setup is not user friendly. By that I mean it's easy to overload the circuits. You don't have a single main breaker. You can put any size fuses you want in the cartridges. You could put fuses in that are larger than the connected wiring. Your 30A pullouts look correct. Your bottom pullout is correct.

It looks like the upper 60A pullout may be running the four circuit sub panel in the upper left corner. It doesn't look like the wire to that panel can support 60A but I may be wrong as it's hard to see in that picture.

As mentioned.... are you having problems with this setup ?

Old 09-15-20, 06:51 PM
B
I want to upgrade to circuit breakers, but I don't know what size panel I should buy.

Old 09-15-20, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
You need to see if your jurisdiction requires a licensed electrician to replace the panel.
In order to replace the panel..... the meter will need to be removed by the power company.
In order to put the meter back in.... the power company will need a cut-in card (inspection report) from your electrical inspector.

Old 09-15-20, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 178 Posts
Do an online load service calculation

Example: http://www.nojolt.com/load_calculations.shtml

Old 09-16-20, 11:27 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 95 Posts
As you've probably gleaned from the range of responses, sizing and replacing the panel isn't always an easy answer. It's based on the cabling from the service drop to the meter and to the panel, and sometimes on the overhead cabling from the power company.

Also, with a panel that old (probably ~60 years), your service entry may be due for a replacement/upgrade too. I haven't seen too many split bus panels that have a service entry (cabling/meter pan) in good enough shape.

Lastly, a panel upgrade is on the edge not being a DIY project. The meter has to be pulled if you're only updating the panel, and pulling the meter is typically not something we recommend members do. It most of the time is fine - but can be quite disastrous if done either incorrectly or if there's a defect in the meter/base. PLUS, it's very locale dependent. Most areas require permits, some require inspections before reconnection, some areas require the POCO be involved/informed.

So long story short, doable, but will take more research and figuring out.

Old 09-16-20, 11:33 AM
B
Thanks for all the responses. I'm thinking about calling the power company and see what kind of information they have for me.

Old 09-16-20, 07:19 PM
Group Moderator
They more than likely will tell you to call an electrician.
That would also be my opinion. Get at least one or two estimates.