Grounding security equipment

Old 09-19-20, 10:53 AM
Received 73 Votes on 69 Posts
Grounding security equipment

Hi All, seems this should be a violation, we have a Select Engineering Systems gate access system and they have it grounded to ground rod instead of a ground wire in the conduit with the supply conductors, this system is about 2 1/2 years old , the original system had many problems with the MB , we are trying to figure out what the common issue is.
Geo🇺🇸

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-20, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,110 Votes on 1,030 Posts
If the controller is hooked up to 120v power then it should be getting ground from that.
BUT.... most gate operator manufacturers illustrate connecting the operator to a ground rod.
This is probably due to lightning in remote areas.
I don't recall seeing operators connected to a ground rod at the commercial accounts I've worked at.

Just to clarify..... a ground rod is acceptable but cannot replace the ground from the power source.

Old 09-25-20, 11:24 PM
D
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
A remote ground rod at your gate is called supplemental grounding. This is part of the code that a lot of people get wrong.
The ground needs to come from the service panel, where the breaker feeding the gate is located.
A ground rod at your gate provides a second path, through the earth back to the panel. This is not a acceptable situation.
Best book I can think of is Soars Book on grounding, Most libraries have a copy. You do not need a new version just one based on a code close to the one being used in your area. Soars takes section 250 of the NEC and explains it in simple words and LOTS of pictures.
I would recommend surge protection at the gate and at your home. Lighting has a habit of sneaking in by induction from long lines in the ground.

Old 09-26-20, 08:02 AM
P
Received 100 Votes on 80 Posts
As said ground rods are for diverting lightning strikes, not to bond the equipment. Bonding of the equipment is done by an equipment grounding conductor going back to the service.

Old 09-26-20, 08:46 AM
Group Moderator
For what ever reason..... most gate operators request a ground rod.

Old 09-26-20, 01:52 PM
Received 73 Votes on 69 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I am trying to convince this property manager of the importance of grounding, one problem is the pipe from the panel to the controller is jammed packed, no room, been this way for years.

Geo🇺🇸

Last edited by Shadeladie; 10-02-20 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-26-20, 02:10 PM
Group Moderator
If the gate is wired in conduit..... that's the ground.

Old 09-26-20, 03:48 PM
P
Received 100 Votes on 80 Posts
The conduit can be the ground if the conduit is metal and is properly bonded. If it's PVC then no.