Wiring fireplace blower

Old 09-21-20, 06:15 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring fireplace blower

Looking for suggestions on how to better wire this. Just moved in to this house and the wire for the fireplace blower was disconnected and tucked inside. I put the plug on the end so I could plug it into the wall outlet and make sure it works, and it does, but Iíd like to have the connection a little cleaner. I was thinking running wires in a metal conduit around the corner into the wall since obviously there is power right there, but Iím not sure what the interface between a box in the wall and conduit coming straight out would be.

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

09-21-20, 11:46 AM
PJmax
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Would you be happy with how that looked ?

That rubber/vinyl power cord from the blower is not rated to be installed thru conduit and connected internally in a junction box.

You can use LeGrand 500 wiremold to do a really neat setup. See video link below.
There are fittings to run the track in any direction or location.
LeGrand wiremold installation

Old 09-21-20, 07:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
So, you are thinking of extending an outlet box out of the wall and running conduit on the surface to install another outlet on the face of your fireplace? That sounds permenant and more ugly than just a power cord. How about attaching the power cord so it's run neatly? You could also get decorative wire covers/raceway to neaten up the cord.

Old 09-21-20, 07:44 AM
D
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
The other idea of neatly installing the cord is a lot easier than what I am going to suggest.
There are metal and plastic electrical raceways commonly called wire mold. Yes wire mold is a brand name.
Personally if I were to use wire mold I would use the metal raceway as it is tough and not subject to damage.
Wire mold on your brick is not going to be a great look. Any thing else is going to be a major production.
When I was wiring custom houses we always ended up with at least one out let in the brick of the fireplace. My partner would take a small rotohammer with a 1/4" bit and cut out one brick for the outlet box. Then make a 1/2 inch hole in the back of that cavity. The brick surround is not tight against the fire box so it is possible to get to the space under your stairs. It could be done. We were cutting the brick when we could see where we wanted to go and there was access behind the fireplace. In your situation it would be a gamble which could be very messy to repair.

Old 09-21-20, 09:12 AM
Group Moderator
Is that a wood burning fireplace insert ?
If it's gas.... you can follow the gas with electric.

Old 09-21-20, 09:31 AM
T
Received 14 Votes on 13 Posts
If the fireplace isn't burning wood, and
If you have access beneath the stairs,
you should be able to drill through the back of the "fire box" into the space under the stairs. Then shove a fish tape or glow-rod from the box underneath the stairs and pull your cable into the box.

My personal preference would be to use MC cable, but you might have to replace the outlet box with a metal.

Caveat: Of course if the insert has no knock-out for a connector on the back side, I wouldn't do it. That's just me.

Last edited by ThisOldMan; 09-21-20 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Caveat
Old 09-21-20, 11:31 AM
S
It is a wood burning fire place. I donít want to drill into or cut the brick. Hereís more what I was thinking.

Putting together conduit with a corner piece like this to wrap around the side of the fireplace towards the wall.

And then install a new box right next to the wall extended from that outlet right there with a cover plate like this that accepts the conduit.

The main thing is not having loose wires and preferably nothing plugged in there that my little kids can get at.

Old 09-21-20, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Would you be happy with how that looked ?

That rubber/vinyl power cord from the blower is not rated to be installed thru conduit and connected internally in a junction box.

You can use LeGrand 500 wiremold to do a really neat setup. See video link below.
There are fittings to run the track in any direction or location.
LeGrand wiremold installation

CasualJoe, ScharperEpic voted this post useful.
Old 09-21-20, 12:08 PM
S
@PJmax I like that metal raceway idea a lot more. Thanks 👍

Can I take 12/2 romex and take the sheathing off and run those wires inside the raceway? This was my original idea since I already have some romex laying around but I know you can’t just put sheathed romex in a conduit.

Old 09-21-20, 12:11 PM
S
The idea is to not use the current cord or plug at all but rather to have the blower hard wired.

Old 09-21-20, 12:18 PM
Group Moderator
Rather than stripping romex.... just pick up some short coils of THHN wiring. You need white and black. The track carries the ground.

Old 09-21-20, 12:55 PM
Received 73 Votes on 69 Posts
Hi, definitely use the wire mold non metallic, extension box on existing outlet leave receptacle, install new box close to stove with receptacle and your done.
Geo