DC Low Voltage Shut-Off Switch (or similar) Advice Needed

Old 09-21-20, 03:56 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DC Low Voltage Shut-Off Switch (or similar) Advice Needed

Looking for help to identify the proper piece of hardware which will prevent electrical flow to the load when the voltage is below 12v (or 10 or 8 will do). Thought I had the perfect DC low voltage shut off switch, but it buzzes when the voltage is low, and that will not do.

The set-up consists of a 100w/12v solar panel and a 12v water pump. No battery involved. I don't want power supplied to the pump when the solar panel is producing less than 12v. The panel produces 22v in full sunlight. Have the below switch installed but it buzzes when voltage is low. Thanks

Old 09-21-20, 04:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
That is a very iffy thing to do. You should be using a battery as it adds a voltage stabilizer between the solar cell panel and the pump.

Right now you are allowing 22vdc to go to the pump ?

Old 09-21-20, 04:37 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Good point about the 22v going to the pump. I tried each of the two transformers (shown below) before replacing with the LV switch. I didn't realize that the switch would allow 22v to go to the pump. I could re-install one of the transformers.

Right now everything is turned off. forgot to mention there is an on/off switch.

I don't want a battery because I don't want the pump to run all night long, and I like the idea of the pump operating intermittently when the sun goes behind the clouds. So, what piece of equipment will acieve this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: