Weird electrical issues in home

Old 09-22-20, 10:05 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weird electrical issues in home

I've been noticing this for a while and I cant explain it. Fans in my home speed up and slow down. At first I thought it was just a freak occurrence but its happening to new fans as well. I can also hear it in a window a/c. What do I need to be checking to see what's going on? Any chance this could be an issue on my pole like the transformer?

Old 09-23-20, 04:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Call power co. to see if they are having problems. Have them come out to check all connections to house are ok. Could be a issue with a bad neutral in house but have the power co check first.

Old 09-23-20, 05:35 AM
B
Received 101 Votes on 88 Posts
Changes in AC voltage indirectly affect induction motor speed. Changes in AC voltage frequency directly affect induction motor speed. However since the poco license limits on frequency and voltage on produced power is so small, it is not noticeable. You would notice it in an ac motor driven clock if the error was in the same direction for extended period. Make sure all electrical connections in the circuit are tight. If any connection provided option between stab or screw connection, use the screw connection. Make sure any air filters are clean.

Old 09-23-20, 05:41 AM
A
Received 110 Votes on 102 Posts
Have you measured voltage at the receptacle where the fan was plugged into?

Also measure voltage at different receptacles. When you observe problems, are all voltages wrong to the same degree or are some right and some wrong?

Old 09-23-20, 07:06 AM
J
It happens in every room so the problem seems to be house-wide

Old 09-23-20, 11:14 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 161 Votes on 143 Posts
I agree with Pugsl. Your first call should be to the power company. The POCO should come out within a few hours (their emergency service) and check everything out. If it's not on their end, they might recommend you get an electrician to check your panel - or sometimes, they might even take a look themselves.

This often happens when the neutral line between the transformer on the pole and your panel gets loose. Some circuits will get dimmer, others will get brighter (when incandescent lights are on them at least).

There are some tests you can do, but you'll need a multimeter and feel comfortable enough taking the cover off your main panel to test.

Old 09-23-20, 03:49 PM
D
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Have you done any electrical work? Installed something electrical?

I do not know your area, calling the utility here and having them find nothing is a guaranteed 300 dollar bill.
Before I called the utility I would go to the service check voltages line to line, line to neutral and line to ground.,
The common voltages are 240v L-L 120-125 L-G and L-N. The neutral is established at your service from the text I would look for loose neutral/ground connections.

It is possible for the neutral to go wacky at the transformer. In 45 years of electrical field work I have seen one that did that. It baffled the service man and he would not listen to me at all. So I pointed my spot light on the top of my service truck at the problem and he finally got the idea. I heard it arcing so that was the give away for me.

Old 09-24-20, 05:23 PM
J
Hurricane Laura pretty much destroyed the grid except for my pole. They didn't replace the cabling like they did with the rest if the street. This was happening prior but it seems worse now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: