Adding 115v receptacle from A/C disconnect

Old 09-28-20, 08:11 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Adding 115v receptacle from A/C disconnect

I would like to add an external 115v receptacle on the north side as I currently have to walk back & forth to the other side to obtain power mostly while to do yard work. An ideal position would be where AC units are located. I wonder if it's possible to tap into the AC disconnect as it would be convenient but I know it's a 230v. How?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-20, 09:36 AM
J
Received 251 Votes on 221 Posts
You have to check if there is a neutral.
You also have to check if you can add a 15 or 20 amp breaker into the box.
You can't install a general purpose receptacle on a circuit greater than 20 amps.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 09-28-20, 10:03 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 116 Votes on 107 Posts
Normally, a new cable would be run for an exterior receptacle. It's rare to see a receptacle off an AC disconnect as most condensers don't have/need a neutral, and you would need to install a subpanel there to branch off a 15/20A circuit.

I'd recommend running a new cable to that location for an outside receptacle. Will be a bit more work, but will be worthwhile.

Old 09-28-20, 10:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
And an outdoor receptacle should be GFCI protected.

Old 09-28-20, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 209 Votes on 185 Posts
You could install a 240 to 120-volt transformer. Likely not cost-effective but it is an option.

Too bad it is an older installation, NEC requires a receptacle within 25' of A/C equipment. Many installations now have a receptacle installed within the A/C disconnect.

Old 09-29-20, 07:31 AM
B
It looks like this method is a no go. There's a receptacle on the opposite side of the wall in the kitchen. I saw in This old house show them tapping into a similar receptacle. I have to drill through a brick wall from the inside, what I didn't want to do but oh well. Another option is to tap into the pool house receptacle, for a similar setup. Just that I was preferring to not have a receptacle attached on the back of the outside wooden wall of the poolhouse. But I suppose if I move it close to the house wall it's not going to be too conspicuous because it's an L-shaped intersection between poolhouse and house walls.

Definitely will do a gfci.

Old 09-29-20, 08:47 AM
L
Received 71 Votes on 65 Posts
There's a receptacle on the opposite side of the wall in the kitchen.
You cannot tap into kitchen appliance circuits. Those circuits can supply kitchen receptacle circuits only.
Electrically it will work fine, but this is the code.

Old 09-29-20, 01:33 PM
B
Just to clarify - these are not receptacles with kitchen appliances plugged into. Inside the kitchen appliances are positioned on the opposite side facing the window to the outside. By the window, a breakfast nook/table is where the "target" receptacle is at to plug in electronics - tv, radio, whatnot. Though it may work at this point I would rather do it per code. So this receptacle should not be sourced for power to outside?

The second source would be power supply to the pool. There's 230v & 115v lines, neutral & ground. Two wetbar receptacles are sourced from this point. They are barely used other than when I am doing yard work and I have to make trips inside the backyard to plug/unplug extension code. This source should be ok, yes?.

Old 09-29-20, 02:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 209 Votes on 185 Posts
So this receptacle should not be sourced for power to outside?
If it serves any part of the kitchen it likely should not be used.

Old 10-01-20, 12:10 PM
B
Next option is to tap into pool house supply. I prefer to position receptacle close to brick wall but on wooden wall. What is the minimum distance up and down does code generally require for receptacle placement away from a nearby spigot?

Old 10-02-20, 03:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
There are no clearance requirements. Position it so you can use both without interference. You don't want to stand in a puddle and plug in the cord or have water spraying on the receptacle.

An in use cover should be used.