Backyard outlet with no power

Old 10-02-20, 07:36 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Backyard outlet with no power

So I'm running into an issue with my backyard outlet. It hasn't to my knowledge worked in 5 plus years and is connect to a GFCI outlet in the garage. This outlet in the garage does work and also connects to an outside outlet at my front door, this outlet works as well.

I'm trying to restore power to my backyard outlet but don't seem to have any voltage. I've taken the cover off and tested the wires but have not current. I went to fuse panel and reset a couple different fuses to make sure I would get the one connected. I have also reset the GFCI outlet in garage and again it works and so do other outlets connected to this. Any advice on what I should try next?
I'm confused how other outlets still work but this one gets 0 power. I'm testing with a non contact voltage tester. I bought a new outdoor outlet to replace but after removing cover and having no voltage at the wires I did not replace the outlet at this time. Please any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-02-20, 09:14 PM
J
Received 295 Votes on 254 Posts
Is this receptacle out in the yard or on the house? If it is out in the yard on a post then you need figure out where the cable enters the house. It is possible the underground cabling has been damaged.

Old 10-03-20, 06:27 AM
B
Received 101 Votes on 88 Posts
You need figure out where the outside receptacle cable enters the house. Disconnect the black and white wire from their terminations and wire nut them together. Use an ohmmeter to test for continuity between the black and white wires at the outside receptacle. If you have don't have continuity, the cable is bad and needs replacing. If you have continuity, the connections at both ends should be redone.

Old 10-03-20, 08:44 AM
T
The outlet is up against the house next to the back door. Would it make sense that they should end inside the gfci outlet in the garage?

Old 10-03-20, 09:15 AM
J
Received 295 Votes on 254 Posts
It would make sense that the receptacle would be attached to GFCI somewhere. If the house is old enough it could be in a bathroom, basement or another outdoor receptacle.

Old 10-03-20, 02:30 PM
Received 13 Votes on 12 Posts
Could the backyard outlet possibly be switched? If this sounds like a dumb question, read on...

I lived in my previous home for 12 years and never used the 2 outdoor GFCI outlets. When I was prepping the house for sale, I noticed neither outlet worked. Zero volts. I replaced them both, still didn't work. Finally I remembered the indoor wall switch which had been hiding behind a curtain unseen and untouched for all those years. Flipping that switch sent power to the outlets. D'oh.

joed voted this post useful.
Old 10-03-20, 07:56 PM
T
Its not switched. I'm the 2nd owner and 1st was my parents so I'm pretty familiar with house and what does what. Need to clear some things out in garage so I can try what has been recommended. Will report back soon. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-03-20, 07:59 PM
T
More info on house.
Built in 96 and in Dallas, Texas area. Single story, no basement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: