Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Seeking a quieter power supply (12V 5.0A or 60 watt unit)...

Old 10-06-20, 09:35 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 1 Post

Folks:

I bought a battery charger called a Vapcell Sr Plus Super charger to charge my Ni-Mh/Ni-Cd or Li-Ion batteries. I like its features, etc. So far works great. However, the DC power supply is noisy. Meaning I can audibly hear a constant buzz when not plugged into the charger and when plugged in, and charging a cell, you can hear a pulsing sound. Not good. Almost too noisy to share my office as it distracts me. Clearly it's a very inexpensive converter. Built in China..but most are. However, this must have some bad internal design issues.

I'm seeking a new 12V 5.0A = 60 Watt charger that is quite.

I found this one but I have NO idea how to determine if it will be quite and not buzz. I know don't know what to look for in build quality from a spec sheet and I hate the idea of buying to try and then maybe send back. Is there something that would indicate if the power supply would be quite or of build quality to not buzz like that? I know all electronic conversion units (power supplies) make noise; however, seeking one that doesn't make audible to the human ear noise.

https://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Power-Partners/PSAD65-12-B1.shtml

or this

https://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/SGA60U12-P1J.shtml

Here is what my current power supply looks like with labels.

Thanks for your thoughts.

TKH

Old 10-06-20, 11:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
I rarely hear any noise out of that style charger.
Typically a noisy adapter would be an inexpensive charger.
However that one carries a UL listing which usually means it's a better unit.

Trying different supplies would be trial and error as far as noise.
As long as you match the voltage, current and plug polarity....any charger should work.

Old 10-11-20, 10:52 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 1 Post
I took a chance and bought a new one that online Walmart had. Perfectly quite. So clearly the ones shipped with that charger are noisy. I returned my first one and the 2nd one was just as noisy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: