Non-Functional Power Outlet

Old 10-08-20, 08:30 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Non-Functional Power Outlet

Today I tried to plug a leaf blower into my power outlet at the back of my house. When I plugged in the extension cord attached to the blower, I heard a "pop" at the outlet. When I tried to plug in the blower without the extension, nothing. (I now believe that perhaps the extension cord was damaged.) If I remove the extension cord and plug into a different outlet, it runs fine.

I used my Klein Tools voltage tester to see if the outlet had a live hot wire. Nothing.

I turned the relevant breaker off and turned it back on. Nothing.

I wondered if the breaker was damaged, so I used my voltage tester to check the 14/2 wire coming from the assigned breaker at the electrical panel, and there is indeed a live hot wire there.

Bottom line: the breaker seems to have a hot wire coming from it; however, the outlet on that breaker is dead.

I used this outlet before today, and it was fine.

To me, all of this doesn't make any sense. How can the 14/2 wire from the breaker be hot, but the wire attached to the outlet be dead? I also opened the outlet box and tried my voltage tester on the black wire inside the box, and it has no current.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Wayne

Popular Reply

10-08-20, 09:29 PM
PJmax
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
It's very likely there is a GFI receptacle before that one protecting it. Make sure all GFI receptacles are checked as the outside receptacle could be connected anywhere. Typically it would be off the garage but not always. Many times a hidden GFI is located where it wasn't expected.

If there is no GFI receptacle protecting it.... does it go thru other receptacles first ?
If it does... it may a bad connection at any one of those..... including the outside receptacle.

Old 10-08-20, 09:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
It's very likely there is a GFI receptacle before that one protecting it. Make sure all GFI receptacles are checked as the outside receptacle could be connected anywhere. Typically it would be off the garage but not always. Many times a hidden GFI is located where it wasn't expected.

If there is no GFI receptacle protecting it.... does it go thru other receptacles first ?
If it does... it may a bad connection at any one of those..... including the outside receptacle.

cartman, whdyck voted this post useful.
Old 10-12-20, 01:25 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's very likely there is a GFI receptacle before that one protecting it.
You were right. I found the other GFI receptacle and reset it. Now the receptacle in question is live again.

Thank you.

Wayne

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: