Loud Click from Meter?

Old 10-12-20, 08:03 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
Loud Click from Meter?

Around here, some houses have the meter in the basement next to the panel, it's odd, but seemingly not around here.

Anyway, I was working in the basement over the past couple days, and I've heard a distinct Click/Thump noise coming from the meter or breaker box. It specifically sounds like a breaker tripping. So each time, I've walked over, looked at the breaker box, and noticed that none of the breakers were tripped. (Plus nothing was going on in the house that should have tripped anything anyway).
A few hours later, another Click. It's obviously not a breaker, because everything is on and working without a problem.

I'm thinking it's coming from the meter, though I've never known meters to click like that. As far I know, we don't have any peak/off peak metering, and certainly no separate loads or anything odd like that.

I heard it 3 times over the weekend, and once again this evening. It could be doing it much more often and I'm just not hearing it too.

Has anyone heard a meter do that? I've never heard a breaker click and not trip. And again, nothing is really happening in the house that would indicate an overload to me anyway. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-20, 08:25 PM
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
Hi, call the POCo , see if you can catch it with audio and video on your phone, may not be that easy but it would be something to show the POCo.
Geo🇺🇸

Old 10-12-20, 08:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,192 Votes on 1,103 Posts
Is it a smart meter ? mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 10-13-20, 06:20 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
Is it a smart meter ?
It's digital and remotely read. Not quite sure how smart it is.

Old 10-13-20, 09:20 AM
T
Received 44 Votes on 43 Posts
A lot of smart meters contain a disconnect relay, but u would definitely notice if that kicked out.

Old 10-13-20, 02:43 PM
Received 25 Votes on 25 Posts
Yes those "Smart Meters" are not so smart. I live in a United Illuminating territory and my meter went into "Service Disconnect" mode after a 3.5 day power failure they tried to reset in on their end they had to replace it (another 2 days latter) with another one