Grounding prong up or down? Solved.

Old 10-15-20, 04:28 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Lightbulb Grounding prong up or down? Solved.

The discussion of whether the grounding prong is in the up position or down position has been solved!

There is no electrical reason or safety reason for either direction. But there is a definite direction needed if you are to use one of these.

They are designed to make contact with the "lower" side screws of the outlet and as such the contacts are slightly below center and inline with lower screws towards the grounding prong. And since the sensor is at the bottom, same as the LED's turning it up side down will work, but that only direct the nightlight up instead of at the floor. I also learned that the screws must be turn out to almost their fullest in order for the contacts to touch the screws.

Now I only test one particular brand and I'm assuming they all work the same. So if for no other reason, point your grounding prong in the down position and most likely any future use will be correct even if the position is not important.

You can all thank me later.

cartman voted this post useful.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-20, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,110 Votes on 1,030 Posts
I'm the king of my castle. In my home there is no discussion.

The receptacles are installed like this.

Old 10-16-20, 01:14 AM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
When my son and mom were in the hospital this summer I noticed that ever receptacle in the entire building had the ground in the up position, every single one!

Old 10-16-20, 04:12 AM
B
Received 88 Votes on 77 Posts
I hope you also visited your Mom and son. lol

cartman voted this post useful.
Old 10-16-20, 04:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 317 Votes on 281 Posts
Personally I don't care about the orientation of the receptacle other than they should all be same. Most of mine have the ground up, hopefully one day they all will.

Old 10-16-20, 06:39 AM
Group Moderator
I don't think it's code but in schools, public places, hospitals..... the specs will dictate ground up.

Old 10-16-20, 11:08 AM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
There is no wrong or right way unless the device in question states this way up usually with a marking such as "TOP" and an arrow pointing up or "This way up" and an arrow or other marking stating which way it should be mounted. As you know you have to (well no one is going to check your home but a commercial place yes) must follow the manufactures directions.

I usually do ground down unless I am installing a dedicated receptacle for an appliance I then mount it so the angled cord point down to not place unneeded stress on the cord. Although most appliances intended for the home assume the ground is down but I said most and not all.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 10-16-20, 12:53 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you look to GB they have it upside down, but they are driving on the left side of the road too. :-)
The reason for the GB solution is that if something falls down it will hit the ground first so they claim that to be safer.

It is different standards in many countries. link

Old 10-16-20, 12:57 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
I think CircuitBreaker summed it up pretty well. There is no right or wrong, unless specifically stated by manufacturer of outlet or appliance being used with it. And I have also noticed that
Although most appliances intended for the home assume the ground is down but I said most and not all.

Old 10-16-20, 01:06 PM
Received 8 Votes on 6 Posts
PJ does his Chicago style! For whatever reason, they are always sideways there.
Andy

Old 10-16-20, 01:10 PM
The way PJ does his outlets is how all of them are in Chicago. Must be a code there?
Andy

Old 10-16-20, 01:14 PM
Oops- double post. Sorry about that!
Andy

Old 10-16-20, 02:01 PM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
@ Andrew well Chicago is a sideways place . They also do everything in conduit that can be a good thing if you need to add another wire to an existing circuit but otherwise it is a PITA not like I deal with conduit much but when I do it is a PITA.

Also 12AWG and lower is also difficult to work with 14AWG I can make the loop to go around the screw (when I am dealing with side wire devices I now usually use back wire No not the back stab push in ones) by hand 12AWG I need my pliers to form the loop

Also you triple posted no need to say you double posted.

Old 10-16-20, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
if something falls down it will hit the ground first so they claim that to be safer.
Yes.... that is 100% correct and why it's required in many locations like schools and hospitals.

Old 10-16-20, 09:24 PM
L
Received 70 Votes on 64 Posts
I don't know if having ground up is really safer because ground touches first since whatever falls down is most likely to short hot to neutral when ground is facing down.

But, I did find that having ground up keeps a plug from pulling out from the weight of the cord and even when it does, hot and neutral prongs are not exposed as bottom part of the plug usually stays plugged.

So, I do agree ground up is safer when 3 prong plugs are plugged. Yet, I still do install with ground down at my home because I have some extension cords with 90 degree plugs with ground at bottom.

d_s_k voted this post useful.