Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Question about Routing NM Cable Into Box - Adding a Receptacle

Old 10-18-20, 10:10 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I would like to add an outlet behind a wall mounted bedroom tv. There is an outlet directly below with 2 - 12/2’s entering the box. I was thinking that I would replace this box with a 2-gang so that I have more room. I would have 3 12/2s and two receptacles, which I assume is fine from a box full standpoint.

This may be a dumb question, but since there are only 2 clamps at the top, can I route the new 12/2 around the box and take it in from the bottom?

This is kind of unrelated, but why can I never pretwist 4+ 12AWG neutral/hot wires. Whenever I try to twist them, they always move and end up not sitting correctly. I usually try to strip a greater length to make it easier, but I still have issues. I know that most connectors do not require pretwisting, but I generally like to do it if possible.

Old 10-18-20, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
If you are cutting boxes in a wall..... the wires all need to go in the top or bottom.

There is one clamp per box.
If you install two metal boxes ganged together you'll have two clamps and four cable holes.

If you use a plastic two gang old work box.... it will also have four top ports.

Pretwist three wires and then add the fourth wire.
#12 is hard to work with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: